Current user rating: 93/100 (1603 votes)
- Name Soo-Ae
- Hangul: 수애
- Birth Name: Park Soo-Ae (박수애)
- Birthdate: July 25, 1980
- Birthplace: South Korea
- Highest Education: Gyeonggi Girls' Commercial High School
- Height: 168cm
- Blood Type:
Soo-Ae was born on July 25, 1980. Her immediate family consists of her parents and one younger brother. In an interview on MBC TV program "Muryopak Dosa" (September 16, 2009), Soo-Ae mentioned her father worked as a shoe repairman when she was growing up. Because of this, her family worried about the perception of her father's low paying job might have on Soo-Ae's acting career. However, Soo-Ae did not worry about her father's job or feel any type of embarrassment. Her family also opposed Soo-Ae's wishes to act initially, due to Soo-Ae's introspective personality. As the elder daughter in a family of limited means, she received permission to pursue acting under the condition that she would quit once she earned 30 million Won ($27,000 USD).
Before acting, Soo-Ae was a runner for her school's track & field team. After graduating from Gyeonggi Girls' Commercial High School, Soo-Ae along with friends made a 6 month contract with a management company. Interesting enough, Soo-Ae and her friends did not receive money, but rather paid 350,00 won to the their management company. She went through auditions and first received a job as a model for undergarments. She liked modeling, but the resulting pictures did not look good.
At this point, Soo-Ae wanted to be a singer and practiced with her friends. Soo-Ae took the part of a rapper as they practiced for 6 months. Without ever releasing an album, the group disbanded. During this time, a well known manager recommended to Soo-Ae to pursue acting. In 2001, Soo-Ae started to pursue acting.
In her early acting career people nicknamed Soo-Ae "little Jung Yoon-Hee" due to similarities in appearance. Jung Yoon-Hee was a popular actress from the 1980's who was known for her glamorous look.
In 2002, Soo-Ae made her acting debut in the 1 episode MBC drama "Beseuteu Geukjang Jjak Sarang" ("Best Theater: One Sided Love"). Soo-Ae was then cast for the main female lead in dramas "Merry Go Round," "Love Letter" and "April Kiss". Through these dramas Soo-Ae picked up the image of an actress with a graceful personality. In 2004, she made her feature film debut in the film "A Family". Soo-Ae's character in "A Family" was Jung-Eun, a tough young woman recently released from prison for theft. Her character made a marked departure from the graceful woman she played in earlier TV dramas.
In 2006, Soo-Ae performed in her third film "Once in a Summer" opposite actor Lee Byung-Hun. Soo-Ae mentioned on the MBC TV Show "Muryopakdosa" that during this time she wasn't very confident and, consequently, did not open up to other people. Furthermore, Lee Byung-Hun was an attractive actor, so Soo-Ae kept even more distance to not fall under his charm. More recently, Soo-Ae has become more confident and worked comfortably with leading men like Cho Seung-Woo in "The Sword With No Name".
In 2008, Soo-Ae acted in the film "Sunny". During the filming, she had an unforgettable experience. Director Lee Jun-Ik told Soo-Ae that her acting did not seem real. Soo-Ae then drank 1/3rd of a bottle of whiskey, while director Lee Jun-Ik drank the other 2/3rd. They then filmed her scene while Soo-Ae was drunk.
Prior to the filming of "Sunny," Soo-Ae was more of a loner who kept to herself. She felt responsible for anything she said in public and also afraid of being hurt. Thanks to director Lee Jun-Ik, Soo-Ae began to change. She also picked up the idea that it is ok to try various things.
Soo-Ae then picked up the "Best Actress" award for her performance in "Sunny" at the 46th Daejong Film Awards. In the 2010, Soo-Ae took on the role of a radio show host who discovers that her daughter has been kidnapped while live on air in the film "Midnight F.M.". During filming Soo-Ae found it difficult to run in high heels constantly and also to keep the mental tension needed for her role for the 6 months of filming.
With "Midnight F.M." Soo-Ae won the best actress award, along with co-winner Yun Jeong-Hee for "Poetry", at the 2010 (31th) Blue Dragon Film Awards. Soo-Ae was stunned to have won and when her name was called she could not think of anything. In an interview with Sports Chosun, she mentioned that the day before the award ceremony she flew from New Zealand to South Korea. During the flight she fell asleep and had a dream of two puppies who defecated in two places. Although she didn't think anything of it until after the award ceremony, perhaps her dream forecasted what was awaiting for her in Korea.
- The Flu | Gamgi (2013) - Kim In-Hae
- Breakfast at Tiffany's | Tipanieseo Achimeul (2010) - Mi-Soo *production halted
- Midnight F.M. | Shimyaui FM (2010) - Ko Sun-Young
- The Sword With No Name | Bulkkotcheoreom Nabicheoreom (2009) - Min Ja Yeong / Empress Myeongseong
- Sunny | Nimeun Meongose (2008) - Soon-Yi / Sunny
- Once in a Summer | Geuhae yeoreum (2006) - Seo Jung-In
- Wedding Campaign | Naui gyeolhon wonjeonggi (2005) - Kim Lala
- A Family | Gajok (2004) - Jung-Eun
- Queen of Ambition | Yawang (SBS / 2013) - Joo Da-Hae
- A Thousand Days' Promise | Chunilui Yaksok (SBS / 2011) - Lee Seo-Yeon
- Athena: Goddess of War | Atena: Jeonjaengui Yeosin (KBS2 / 2010-2011) - Yoon Hye-In
- Two Outs in the Ninth Inning | 9huimal 2aut (MBC / 2007) - Hong Nan-Hee
- Emperor of the Sea | Haeshin (KBS / 2004-2005) - Jung-Hwa
- April Kiss | 4wolui Kiseu (KBS2 / 2004) - Song Chae-Won
- Love Letter | Reobeureteo (MBC / 2003) - Jo Eun-Ha
- Merry Go Round | Hoejeonmokma (MBC / 2003)
- The Maengs' Golden Era | Maengganye Junsungshidae (MBC / 2002-2003) - Heo Joo-Yeon
- Most Popular Actress ("Sunny") - 2008 (31st) Golden Cinematography Awards - December 23, 2008
- Best Actress ("Sunny") - 2008 (28th) Critics Choice Awards - November, 2008
- Best Actress ("Sunny") - 2009 (46th) Daejong Film Awards - November 6, 2009
- Best Actress ("Midnight F.M.") - 2010 (31th) Blue Dragon Film Awards - November 26, 2010
- "가족사 고백 수애의 용기와 눈물", "Nate News", "October 9, 2009"
- "`단아한` 수애, 데뷔 전 속옷모델 활동", "Hankyung", "September 17, 2009"
- "'걸그룹'지망 수애, 드레수애에서 액션수애가 되기까지","My Daily", "December 20, 2010"
- "수애 "이병헌에게 사과하고 싶어"", "Chosun", "September 17, 2009"
- "<님은 먼곳에>의 수애", "Cine21", "July 18, 2008"
- ""등산으로 치면 이제 중턱, 앞으로 10년은 천천히"", "Sports Hankooki", "December 25, 2010"
- "인터뷰 심야의 FM 수애 "의문부호가 떠올랐던 작품", "City", "October 21, 2010"
- "스타버라이어티쇼청룡 여인 수애, 여우주연상 타기 전날 밤 개꿈"], "Sports Chosun", "December 3, 2010"