Athena: Goddess of War
Current user rating: 85/100 (625 votes)
- TV Show: Athena: Goddess of War
- Revised romanization: Atena: Jeonjaengui Yeosin
- Hangul: 아테나: 전쟁의 여신
- Director: Kim Young-Jun, Kim Tae-Hoon, Hwang Jung-HyunHwang
- Writer: Kim Hyun-Joon, Yoo Nam-Gyung
- Producer: Jung Tae-Won
- Network: SBS
- Episodes: 20
- Release Date: December 13, 2010 - February 21, 2011
- Runtime: Monday & Tuesday 21:55
- Genre: Action / Thriller
- Language: Korean
- Country: South Korea
Sometime in the near future, the Korean peninsula attempts to reunify. The South Korean government, which needs enormous funds for the unification to succeed, develops a landmark new technology called the TWR. The TWR is a high speed nuclear reactor and other countries want the technology.
To prevent terror in the aftermath of the TWR breakthrough, the government establishes a new organization named NTS (National Anti-Terror Service). Jung-Woo (Jung Woo-Sung) is transferred to the NTS group from the NIS. He's excited about the transfer and hopes to live the life of a real agent, but then discovers his main responsibility is to watch North Korean defectors.
One day, Jung-Woo is given the order to travel to Italy to track terrorists from North Korea. Jung-Woo goes to Italy with Ki-Soo (Kim Min-Jong). Ki-Soo is a former North Korean agent who has defected to South Korea. Ki-Soo's specialty is information on the European region. Up until now, Ki-Soo was one of the North Korean defectors that Jung-Woo had to monitor.
While in Italy, Soo-Young (Lee Bo-Young), the daughter of the South Korean President Jo Myeong-Ho (Lee Jeong-Kil), is kidnapped by terrorists. To solve the case the Korean government sends additional NTS agents including Jae-Hee (Lee Ji-A) to Italy. The NTS agents are able to negotiate with the terrorists, but during their negotiations Hye-In (Su-Ae) suddenly appears. Jung-Woo and the other agents are surprised. Hye-In works as a guide at the exhibition hall in the NIS building. Jung-Woo has always held strong feelings towards Hye-In, but he has never expressed his feelings towards her. Following Hye-In, Son-Hyuk (Cha Seung-Won), the chief of the East Asia branch of Department of Homeland Security in the U.S., suddenly appears as well. The NTS agents are mystified by their appearance.
Jung-Woo learns that there is a secret "solutions" group within the NTS whose sole responsibility is to solve problems that others agencies can not. More surprisingly, Hye-In is part of that group.
Other mysterious cases start to occur and Jung-Woo's intuition leads him to believe that there is unfathomable conspiracy occurring to rearrange the power structure of the entire world. That conspiracy is led by Athena.
What is the real identity of Athena and what does Hye-In and Son-Hyuk hide in their NTS "solutions" group?
- "Athena: Goddess of War" (taken after the mythological goddess of war) is a spin-off of the 2009 KBS2 drama "IRIS" with new characters and will be aired on SBS.
- Production company Taewon Entertainment, responsible for the original "Iris", will produce "Athena: Goddess of War" and the upcoming "IRIS 2" (KBS2 will air the sequel to IRIS sometime in 2011).
- Filming for "Athena: Goddess of War" is expected to start in June 2010. Locations will include 6 different countries including Singapore, New Zealand and Japan.
- On April 15, 2010 it was announced actress Lee Ji-A will play NTS (National Anti-Terrorist Service) agent Han Jae-Hee. Her character is described as strong physically, beautiful, & the perfect special agent. She is somewhat the anti-thesis of double agent Yun Hye-In (Su-Ae) who will be calm & cold. Both ladies will have relationships with main characters Lee Jeong-Woo and Son-Hyeok.
- "Athena: Goddess of War" will takeover the SBS Monday & Tuesday 21:55 time slot previously occupied by drama "Giant" and will be followed by "Midas" on February 22, 2011.
- Actors Jung Woo-Sung & Jung Chan-Woo were injured on January 23rd, 2011 while filming for "Athena: Goddess of War". The scene was being film on location at a parking lot in Kyungwon University. Actor Jung Chan-Woo was driving a car which he lost control of on melting snow. Jung Woo-Sung attempted to avoid the car and injured his right knee, while Jung Chan-Woo need stitches for cuts on his head. Jung Woo-Sung wil take 2-3 days break from filming before returning to the series. Episode 14 originally scheduled to air on January 25th will air the following week. In its place, on January 25th, SBS will air a special "Athena - Soo-Ae's Secret" (스폐셜-수애의 비밀).
- "Athena - Soo-Ae's Secret" (스폐셜-수애의 비밀) will consist of narration by actress Soo-Ae and features cut out scenes + making of the drama "Athena: Goddess of War" + interviews.
- Related titles:
|Jung Woo-Sung||Cha Seung-Won||Soo-Ae||Lee Ji-Ah||Kim Min-Jong||Choi Si-Won|
|Lee Jung-Woo||Son-Hyuk||Yoon Hye-In||Han Jae-Hee||Kim Ki-Soo||Kim Joon Ho|
|Yoo Dong-Geun||Lee Jeong-Kil||Kim Yeong-Ae||Kim Seung-Woo||Oh Yoon-Ah|
|Kwon Yong-Kwan||Jo Myeong-Ho||Choi Jin-Hee||Park Cheol-Yeong||Oh Sook-Kyung|
|NTS Director||Korean President||Secretary for President||N.K. enovy||science lab boss|
Additional Cast Members:
- Lee Bo-Young - Jo Soo-Young (President's daughter)
- Park Yong-Ki - Yoo Kang-Ho (head of Foreign Affairs and National Security)
- Park Yong-Soo - Hwang Ho-Young (Senior Secretary for Political Affairs)
- Lee Han-Wi - Park Sung-Chul (SRT team leader)
- Bang Kil-Seung - SWAT Commander
- Lee Min-Ji - DIS agent
- Kong Jung-Hwan - Seo Min-Hyuk
- Yu Tae-Yong
- Oh Chang-Suk
- Shin Hoo
- Yoo Ha-Jin - NTS science lab agent
- Jung Chan-Woo - Chul-Gyu (Athena agent)
- Park Cheol-Min - handcuffed man
- Yoshihiro Akiyama - black agent
- Jin Goo - black agent
- Kim Byeong-Man - Amusement Park Shooting Gallery employee
- Ryu Dam - Amusement Park Shooting Gallery employee
- BoA - cameo (ep. 7, 8)
- Heo Tae-Hee - BoA's manager
- Shim Chang-Min - NIS nuclear energy expert (ep.16-20)
- Kim So-Yeon - Kim Sun-Hwa
- Kim Jin-Geun - Park Suk-Ho
- Paul Stafford - Russian Mafioso
- Do Ye-Sung - Jung Kyung-Won
- Kim Yoon-Sung - Min-Gu
- Ham Jin-Sung - agent
|2010-12-13||1||25.9 (2nd)||26.2 (1st)|
|2010-12-14||2||25.4 (2nd)||25.8 (1st)|
|2010-12-20||3||20.2 (2nd)||20.7 (2nd)|
|2010-12-21||4||19.8 (2nd)||19.9 (2nd)|
|2010-12-27||5||19.0 (2nd)||18.8 (2nd)|
|2010-12-28||6||18.7 (2nd)||18.2 (2nd)|
|2011-01-03||7||15.1 (3rd)||18.8 (3rd)|
|2011-01-04||8||15.1 (3rd)||18.4 (3rd)|
|2011-01-10||9||13.8 (3rd)||16.0 (4th)|
|2011-01-11||10||12.4 (9th)||13.7 (6th)|
|2011-01-17||11||13.0 (4th)||13.7 (6th)|
|2011-01-18||12||11.9 (5th)||12.9 (7th)|
|2011-01-24||13||13.3 (4th)||13.6 (5th)|
|2011-01-31||14||11.4 (8th)||12.9 (6th)|
|2011-02-01||15||11.8 (6th)||13.1 (6th)|
|2011-02-07||16||12.7 (4th)||14.6 (4th)|
|2011-02-08||17||13.6 (4th)||15.7 (4th)|
|2011-02-14||18||11.8 (9th)||13.1 (7th)|
|2011-02-15||19||11.5 (10th)||12.5 (8th)|
|2011-02-21||20||12.4 (5th)||14.1 (5th)|
Source: TNS Media Korea