Queen of Ambition
Current user rating: 94/100 (1303 votes)
- Drama: Queen of Ambition (English title) / King of Ambition (English title)
- Revised romanization: Yawang
- Hangul: 야왕
- Director: Jo Young-Gwang
- Writer: Park In-Kwon (comic), Lee Hee-Myung
- Network: SBS
- Episodes: 24
- Release Date: January 14 - April 2, 2013
- Runtime: Monday & Tuesday 21:55
- Language: Korean
- Country: South Korea
The special prosecutor's investigation team arrives at the Presidential Blue House. They are investigating the First Lady for allegedly accepting bribes. As they begin to embark on their search and seizure, First Lady Da-Hae (Soo-Ae) appears in front of them. She asks special prosecutor Ha-Ryoo (Kwon Sang-Woo) to enter with her into the bedroom. There, Dae-Hae tells Ha-Ryoo to stop the investigation and the case will just disappear. Ha-Ryoo then shouts out at her "Murder is different. Why did you kill me?" Da-Hae then turns around and points a gun at Ha-Ryoo. A gunshot is fired. Da-Hae and Ha-Ryoo embrace. Blood drips out onto the floor and the gun is dropped.
Prosecutor Ha-Ryoo grew up at an orphanage with First Lady Da-Hae as children. One day, her mother and stepfather came and took her away from the orphanage. Before she left, Da-Hae gave Ha-Ryoo a pair of dice.
Seven years later, Ha-Ryoo works at a horse riding stable. He goes to Seoul to meet Taek-Bae (Kwon Hyun-Sang), who also grew up at the same orphanage. Taek-Bae now works as an enforcer for a loan shark. He's having a hard time collecting money from a borrower. Ha-Ryoo and Taek-Bae go to the house in a poor residential area to collect payment. Ha-Ryoo goes inside the house. He finds someone covered in a white fabric and a young woman sitting next to the body. Ha-Ryoo pulls back the white fabric and sees a dead body. The young woman suddenly collapses. Ha-Ryoo grabs the woman and realizes the woman is Da-Hae (his close friend from the orphanage). He calls for an ambulance.
The next moment, Da-Hae wakes up and finds herself in the hospital. Ha-Ryoo is there with her. Da-Hae now realizes who he is. With Ha-Ryoo's money, Da-Hae holds a funeral for her mother. After the funeral, Da-Hae tells Ha-Ryoo that she will study hard and enter a university. She tells him that is the only way she can get out of her poor situation. After Ha-Ryoo leaves and while walking to her house, her stepbrother stops her and tells her that her stepfather is around and looking for her. Da-Hae panics. As a child, her stepfather sexually abused her. Right away, Da-Hae goes home and packs up to leave. She doesn't have anywhere to go and becomes desperate. Da-Hae ends up going to a hostess bar. At this time, Taek-Bae sees Da-Hae entering the hostess bar and calls Ha-Ryoo.
Ha-Ryoo rushes to the hostess bar and catches her leaving the place. Ha-Ryoo enters the hostess bar and returns the money which Da-Hae received for working there. Later, Da-Hae explains to Ha-Ryoo why she had to leave home. Ha-Ryoo takes her to the horse riding stable where he works and makes her stay there. He promises to support her. From that moment, Da-Hae studies hard and graduates from a university. They are also happy together and go on a short trip together. When they arrive back at the horse riding stable from their trip, the place is empty and a note tells them that everybody went to a neighbor's for a barbecue. Ha-Ryoo drives to the neighbor's house to get some food and Da-Hae stays behind at the riding club. While Ha-Ryoo is leaving, he sees a stranger walking on the road. Ha-Ryoo feels something weird.
Shortly later, Da-Hae sees her stepfather in front of her. She runs and gets inside a stable. Her stepfather follows her into the stable. Da-Hae turns around and stabs her stepfather with a knife. Ha-Ryoo enters the stable and sees the man collapse to the floor.
- "King of Ambition" takes over the SBS Monday & Tuesday 21:55 time slot previously occupied by "The Lord of Dramas" and will be replaced by "Jang Ok-Jung" on March 18, 2013.
- English title first appeared on global.sbs.co.kr as "King of Ambition" and then appeared on sbs-int.com as "Queen of Ambition".
- Based on comic book series "Yawang" by Park In-Kwon (published July 25, 2006 - September 3, 2007 by Gwijok).
- Filming began December 12, 2012. Kwon Sang-Woo & Soo-Ae filmed separate scenes on the first day. Actress Soo-Ae's first scene began at 7am in front of Sogang University, in Seoul. Her first scene involved her character meeting a friend to look for a private tutoring job. Actor Kwon Sang-Woo's first took place in the afternoon, in the suburbs of Seoul. His character rides a bus and he holds a dice given to him by Soo-Ae's character. Their characters grew up together in an orphanage.
- Actor Kim Nam-Gil sings a track for the OST of SBS drama series "King of Ambition". The title of the track is "You Don't Know" ("Neoneun Moreunda"). Song is written by singer Park Sun-Joo and first given to Kim Nam-Gil to perform at his December, 2012 fan meeting. A person in charge of the OST for "King of Ambition" then suggested to add the track on their OST. The song will be released January 14, 2013 to coincide with the airing of ep.1 of "King of Ambition".
|Kwon Sang-Woo||Soo-Ae||U-Know Yunho||Kim Sung-Ryoung|
|Ha Ryoo / Cha Jae-Woong||Joo Da-Hae||Baek Do-Hoon||Baek Do-Kyung|
Additional Cast Members:
- Koh Joon-Hee - Seok Soo-Jung
- Kwon Hyun-Sang - Yang Taek-Bae
- Lee Deok-Hwa - Baek Chang-Hak
- Cha Hwa-Yeon - Baek Ji-Mi
- Lee Jae-Yoon - Joo Yang-Heon
- Sung Ji-Ru - Uhm Sam-Do
- Lee Il-Hwa - Hong An-Sim
- Ko In-Beom - Cha Sim-Bong
- Park Min-Ha - Ha Eun-Byeol
- Jung Ho-Bin - Seok Tae-Il
- Yun Yong-Hyeon - department head Park
- Oh Na-Ra - section chief Yeom
- Jung Soo-In - Pyo Eun-Jung
- Ryoo Sung-Hoon - prisoner
- Ham Jin-Sung - Do-Hoon
- Choi Hyun-Seo - Eun-Joo
- Chae Sang-Woo - Ha Ryoo (young)
- Kim So-Yeon - Joo Da-Hae (young)
- Son Tae-Young - room salon customer (cameo)
|2013-01-21||3||NR||NR||10.2% (19th)||11.1% (17th)|
|2013-01-22||4||9.7% (18th)||10.6% (14th)||9.9% (17th)||10.6% (16th)|
|2013-01-28||5||10.4% (20th)||11.7% (12th)||10.1% (18th)||11.2% (14th)|
|2013-01-29||6||12.0% (13th)||13.5% (6th)||12.3% (10th)||13.6% (4th)|
|2013-02-04||7||13.4% (9th)||14.7% (6th)||12.7% (8th)||14.0% (5th)|
|2013-02-05||8||16.4% (5th)||18.4% (4th)||15.3% (5th)||16.4% (4th)|
|2013-02-11||9||16.4% (4th)||18.7% (4th)||15.2% (4th)||16.1% (4th)|
|2013-02-12||10||20.1% (3rd)||23.3% (2nd)||17.5% (4th)||18.4% (4th)|
|2013-02-18||11||19.4% (4th)||21.8% (3rd)||18.6% (4th)||19.9% (4th)|
|2013-02-19||12||19.6% (4th)||21.1% (4th)||19.4% (3rd)||20.8% (3rd)|
|2013-02-25||13||17.9% (5th)||20.2% (4th)||17.5% (4th)||18.9% (4th)|
|2013-02-26||14||18.8% (4th)||20.4% (4th)||17.7% (4th)||18.1% (4th)|
|2013-03-04||15||17.4% (4th)||19.2% (4th)||16.3% (4th)||17.2% (4th)|
|2013-03-05||16||18.3% (5th)||20.0% (3rd)||18.6% (3rd)||19.9% (4th)|
|2013-03-11||17||18.8% (5th)||21.3% (4th)||18.5% (4th)||20.3% (4th)|
|2013-03-12||18||18.8% (5th)||21.0% (3rd)||18.3% (4th)||19.4% (4th)|
|2013-03-18||19||18.2% (4th)||21.4% (3rd)||17.8% (5th)||19.1% (4th)|
|2013-03-19||20||18.3% (4th)||21.9% (2nd)||18.6% (5th)||20.1% (4th)|
|2013-03-25||21||17.0% (5th)||20.0% (4th)||18.0% (3rd)||19.9% (4th)|
|2013-03-26||22||22.8% (2nd)||26.1% (1st)||22.9% (2nd)||24.3% (2nd)|
|2013-04-01||23||23.1% (3rd)||25.9% (2nd)||22.5% (3rd)||24.5% (2nd)|
|2013-04-02||24||26.7% (2nd)||30.7% (1st)||25.8% (2nd)||27.5% (1st)|
- NR denotes not ranked within the Top 20 daily shows according to TNS Media Korea and AGB Nielson.