Current user rating: 94/100 (4917 votes)
- Name Hyun-Bin
- Hangul: 현빈
- Birth Name: Kim Tae-Pyoung (김태평)
- Birthdate: September 25, 1982
- Birthplace: Seoul, South Korea
- Height: 184cm
- Blood Type:
Hyun-Bin was born on September 25, 1982 in Seoul, South Korea. His real name is Kim Tae-Pyung. He has one older brother. Hyun-Bin's childhood was fairly typical, except he was noted for having good looks. By the 6th grade, Hyun-Bin dreamed of becoming a detective.
By his high school days, a senior student advised Hyun-Bin to try out for the theatre club and practice acting. After Hyun-Bin performed in the school play he realized that acting was his calling and that he wanted to pursue it as a career. Another fortuitous event occured to push him along the acting path. One day, while riding on the back of a friend's motorcycle, a man shouted to them to stop. Hyun-Bin's friend did not have driver's license at the time so he didn't stop his motorcycle. The man then pursued them on the motorcycle until the road ended. The man, who worked for a talent management agency, then gave Hyun-Bin his business card and told him to call him.
Hyun-Bin's parents objected to his dream of becoming an actor initially, so Hyun-Bin attempted to pursuade them for two years.
His parents then suggested that the best university for acting is Chung-Ang University and if he made it into that university they would give their approval for his career choice. Fortunately for Hyun-Bin, he was admitted to Chung-Ang University and his parents relented. At Chung-Ang University, Hyun-Bin worked lighting and managed the school theatre. He also participated in school plays.
In 2003, Hyun-Bin made his acting debut in the KBS drama "Bodyguard". His first role was only a minor character. He played a stalker of Han Shin-Ae (played by Lee Se-Eun). In the same year, Hyun-Bin was also cast for the MBC drama "Nonstop 4," which was quite popular. Through his work in "Nonstop 4," Hyun-Bin was able to improve upon his comedic timing. Well known screen writer In Jung-Ok, who already wrote screenplays for MBC dramas "Sunflower" & "Ruler of Your Own World," saw Hyun-Bin's performance on "Nonstop 4" and introduced Hyun-Bin to PD Kim Jin-Man. In Jung-Ok mentioned to Kim Jin-Man that she thought he was attractive and liked the way he talked.
Hyun-Bin would then land the leading role, alongside Lee Na-Young, Kim Min-Jun & Kim Min-Jung, in the 2004 MBC drama "Ireland," with the screenplay handled by In Jung-Ok and direction handled by Kim Jin-Man. "Ireland" didn't receive particularly high ratings, but it did grab a strong cult like following and also received positive responses from critics. In "Ireland," Hyun-Bin played Kang-Guk a bodyguard with a temperment to always help others. With his performance as Kang-Guk in "Ireland," Hyun-Bin became very popular with female viewers.
In 2005, Hyun-Bin was cast for the MBC drama "My Name Is Kim Sam-soon" opposite Kim Sun-A. Prior to working on the series, Hyun-Bin prepared for his role by taking piano lessons and practicing a cold, cynical way to talk.
"My Name Is Kim Sam-soon" became a mega hit and received ratings in excess of 50% (one of the highest ratings for a Korean drama series). Hyun-Bin's character Hyun Jin-Hun was scripted as something of a perfect man and because of this Hyun-Bin became even more popular with female viewers of the series.
After the runaway success of "My Name Is Kim Sam-soon," Hyun-Bin picked the mellow romantic movie "A Millionaire's First Love" for his next project. "A Millionaire's First Love" was far less successful doing poorly at the box office and with critics.
In 2008, Hyun-Bin took on the leading role in the film "I Am Happy," which premiered as the closing film for the 2008 Pusan International Film Festival. According to Hyun-Bin, he felt different about the scenario for "I Am Happy". Hyun-Bin would play a man suffering from a mental illness and institutionalized in a mental hospital. Prior to taking the role, he wasn't sure if he could play the character adequately, but he told the director that he would do his best. In retrospect, Hyun-Bin's work in "I Am Happy" was able to help further develop his talents as an actor and also a human being.
In 2008, Hyun-Bin was cast for the KBS2 drama "Worlds Within......". He played television PD Jung Ji-Oh, opposite actress Song Hye-Kyo who played televison PD Ju Jun-Young. The drama was not successful, but generally received positive comments from critics. The drama would also helped to develop Hyun-Bin's personal life as a bond was formed with main actress Song Hye-Kyo while working on the set. After the drama finished shooting, their relationship developed and they started dating in July, 2009.
In 2009, Hyun-Bin was cast for the MBC drama "Friend, Our Legend" - a remake of the 2001 box office hit "Friend". The drama series was directed by Kwak Kyung-Taek, who also directed the original movie version "Friend". When Hyun-Bin accepted the role of Dong-Su others opposed his decision. One person that did not oppose his choice was Jang Dong-Kun who played Dong-Su in the original movie version. Jang Dong-Kun actually supported and advised Hyun-Bin prior to his work on the drama. Nevertheless, "Friend, Our Legend" received poor ratings (10%). Hyun-Bin responded in interviews that he did not want to be evaluated soley by TV ratings and hoped to be recognized as an actor.
In 2010, Hyun-Bin performed in the Korean-U.S. produced film "Late Autumn" - a remake of the classic 1966 Korean film "Late Autumn". Hyun-Bin chose the movie because he felt the scenario would be fun to play. Yet, Hyun-Bin was also worried about that language barrier (the movie's dialogue is spoken entirely in English). After discussions with the film's director Kim Tae-Yong, Hyun-Bin felt more confidant as the character lived in the U.S. for only 3 years and did not have to speak like a native person. Instead, Hyun-Bin focused on expressing the character's emotions.
Later in 2010, Hyun-Bin was cast for the SBS romantic-comedy "Secret Garden" opposite Ha Ji-Won. "Secret Garden" would mark the first time in 5 years that Hyun-Bin acted in a romantic-comedy - since the mega-hit "My Name Is Kim Sam-soon". "Secret Garden" also contains the unusual plot twist where Hyun-Bin and Ha Ji-Won change bodies.
On March 8th,2011 the agencies of actor Hyun Bin and actress Song Hye-Kyo officially announced that they had broken up in January.
- Hyun-Bin began serving his 21 month military service starting on March 7, 2011. He was then discharged December 6, 2012 after serving 21 months. Hyun-Bin served in the Korean Marines.
- The Fatal Encounter | Yeokrin (2014) - King Jeongjo
- Come Rain Come Shine | Saranghanda, Saranghaji Ahnneunda (2011) - man
- Late Autumn | Manchu (2011) - Hoon
- I Am Happy | Naneun Haengbok habnida (2008) - Man-Soo
- A Millionaire's First Love | Baekmanjangjaui Cheotsarang (2006) - Kang Jae-Kyung
- Spin Kick | Dolryeochagi (2004) - Min-Gyu
- Daddy-Long-Legs | Kidari Ajeossi (2004) - Hyung-Joon
- Hyde Jekyll, Me | Haideu Jikil, Na (SBS / 2015) - Koo Seo-Jin / Robin
- Secret Garden (SBS / 2010) - Kim Joo-Won
- Friend, Our Legend | Chingoo, Woorideului Jeonseol (MBC / 2009) - Dong-Su
- Worlds Within...... | Keudeuli Saneun Sesang (KBS2 / 2008) - Jung Ji-Oh
- The Snow Queen | Neunui Yeowang (KBS2 / 2006-2007) - Han Tae-Woong
- My Name Is Kim Sam-soon | Nae ireumeun Kim Sam-soon (MBC / 2005) - Hyun Jin-Hun
- Ireland | Aillaendeu (MBC / 2004) - Kang-Guk
- Nonstop 4 (MBC / 2003)
- Bodyguard | Bodigadeu (KBS / 2003)
- "현빈", "10 Asia," "August 17, 2009".
- "현빈, 연기와 사랑 한꺼번에 얻다 (인터뷰)", "Sports Seoul," "August 9, 2010".
- "현빈 "학창시절 경찰 되고 싶었다!" [송혜교와 열애 현빈 동영상 인터뷰①"], "Paran News," "August 24, 2009"
- "현빈", "10 Asia," "August 17, 2009".
- "MBC드라마 ‘내 이름은 김삼순’ 출연 현빈", "DongA.com," "December 7, 2006".
- , "10 Asia," "November 18, 2009".
- "현빈-송혜교, 실제 연인 되기까지 3년 걸렸다", "Hankooki," "August 5, 2009"
- "현빈 “‘친구’ 출연반대 심했다‥내 연기는 60점” ", "Newsen," "July 31, 2009"
- , "10 Asia," "November 18, 2009".