So Ji-Sub @ 2011 BIFF
(photo taken by AsianWiki CC BY-NC-ND 3.0)
Current user rating: 94/100 (14848 votes)
- Name: So Ji-Sub
- Hangul: 소지섭
- Birthdate: November 4, 1977
- Birthplace: South Korea
- Height: 183 cm.
- Blood Type: O
So Ji-Sub, born November 4, 1977, is a famous South Korean movie and television actor. His immediately family consists of his parents and one younger sister. While growing up, So Ji-Sub was weak so starting from the age of 10 he started to swim. For the next 10 years he competed as a swimmer and eventually won a medal at the national Korean games.
In 1995 Ji-Sub debuted as a model for clothing company STORM. He got the job after a friend asked Ji-seob to accompany him to a modeling audition. His friend failed to get the job, but Ji-Sub was selected. Two years later, Ji-Sub made his television acting debut in the SBS drama series "Model." His breakthrough role came several years later in the 2004 KBS drama "Sorry, I Love You" (Mianhada, Saranghanda) with co-star Lim Su-Jeong.
After Ji-Sub's breakout performance in "Sorry, I Love You" his acting career was placed on hold starting in February, 2006 while he served his mandatory two year military requirement. After Ji-Sub's discharge in April, 2007, he then signed on for the relatively low-budget film "Rough Cut" scripted & produced by Ki-duk Kim. Ji-seob was not satisfied with his earlier performance in the 2002 film "Can't Live Without Robbery" and became drawn to the character of Gang-pae in "Rough Cut" due to the depth of his character and his position in life.
"Rough Cut" would go on to garner critical and commercial success, helping to make So Ji-Sub even more popular. In 2009 Ji-seob appeared in his first television drama in five years with the big-budget SBS series "Cain and Abel." Ji-Sub then signed to work on the internationally financed film "Sophie's Revenge," in a supporting role opposite Chinese actresses Zhang Ziyi & Fan Bingbing. At the Korean press conference for "Sophie's Revenge" So Ji-Sub stated, "After getting out of the military I wanted to challenge myself as an actor with new projects, and China is a new start."
- So Ji-Sub at times felt uncomfortable in the spotlight not enjoying interviews, having photos taken of him, or being surrounded by large groups of people, but he says now he has become more open in recent years.
- Ji-Sub loves hip-hop and sometimes performs under the name "G-sonick."
- Ji-Sub is an avid photographer.
- After his contract with talent agency BOF concluded in 2009, Ji-seob is in the process of starting his own management company and plans to work as his own agent.
- On February 17, 2011 So Ji-Sub released digital single "Pick Up Line". A teaser for the music video was released on February 10th featuring comedy actors Jeong Jun-Ha & Kim Byeong-Man. The full video music will be on released February 17 and will not include footage from the teaser.
- Read Q&A for movie "Always" with So Ji-Sub, Han Hyo-Joo and director Song Il-Gon (from press conference at the 2011 Busan International Film Festival).
| Latest News
|| Latest Trailers