Current user rating: 95/100 (5119 votes)
- Name: So Ji-Sub
- Hangul: 소지섭
- Birthdate: November 4, 1977
- Birthplace: South Korea
- Height: 183 cm.
- Blood Type: O
So Ji-Sub, born November 4, 1977, is a famous South Korean movie and television actor. His immediately family consists of his parents and one younger sister. While growing up, So Ji-Sub was weak so starting from the age of 10 he started to swim. For the next 10 years he competed as a swimmer and eventually won a medal at the national Korean games.
In 1995 Ji-Sub debuted as a model for clothing company STORM. He got the job after a friend asked Ji-seob to accompany him to a modeling audition. His friend failed to get the job, but Ji-Sub was selected. Two years later, Ji-Sub made his television acting debut in the SBS drama series "Model." His breakthrough role came several years later in the 2004 KBS drama "Sorry, I Love You" (Mihanhamda, Saranghanda) with co-star Lim Su-Jeong.
After Ji-Sub's breakout performance in "Sorry, I Love You" his acting career was placed on hold starting in February, 2006 while he served his mandatory two year military requirement. After Ji-Sub's discharge in April, 2007, he then signed on for the relatively low-budget film "Rough Cut" scripted & produced by Ki-duk Kim. Ji-seob was not satisfied with his earlier performance in the 2002 film "Can't Live Without Robbery" and became drawn to the character of Gang-pae in "Rough Cut" due to the depth of his character and his position in life.
"Rough Cut" would go on to garner critical and commercial success, helping to make So Ji-Sub even more popular. In 2009 Ji-seob appeared in his first television drama in five years with the big-budget SBS series "Cain and Abel." Ji-Sub then signed to work on the internationally financed film "Sophie's Revenge," in a supporting role opposite Chinese actresses Ziyi Zhang & Bingbing Fan. At the Korean press conference for "Sophie's Revenge" So Ji-Sub stated, "After getting out of the military I wanted to challenge myself as an actor with new projects, and China is a new start."
- So Ji-Sub at times felt uncomfortable in the spotlight not enjoying interviews, having photos taken of him, or being surrounded by large groups of people, but he says now he has become more open in recent years.
- Ji-Sub loves hip-hop and sometimes performs under the name "G-sonick."
- Ji-Sub is an avid photographer.
- After his contract with talent agency BOF concluded in 2009, Ji-seob is in the process of starting his own management company and plans to work as his own agent.
- On February 17, 2011 So Ji-Sub released digital single "Pick Up Line". A teaser for the music video was released on February 10th featuring comedy actors Jeong Jun-Ha & Kim Byeong-Man. The full video music will be on released February 17 and will not include footage from the teaser.
- Read Q&A for movie "Always" with So Ji-Sub, Han Hyo-Joo and director Song Il-Gon (from press conference at the 2011 Busan International Film Festival).
- A Company Man | Huisawon (2012) - Ji Hyeong-Do
- Always | Ohjik Geudaeman (2011) - Cheol-Min
- Sophie's Revenge (2009)
- Rough Cut | Yeonghwanun Yeonghwada (2008) - Gang-Pae
- Gegege no Kitaro: Kitaro and the Millennium Curse | Gegege no Kitaro: Sennen noroi uta (2008)
- Can't Live Without Robbery | Dodookmatgo motsala (2002) - Choi, Kang-jo
- Master's Sun | Joogoonui Taeyang (SBS / 2013) - Joo Joong-Won (Master)
- Phantom | Yooryung (SBS / 2012) - Kim Woo-Hyun / Park Gi-Young
- Road No. 1 | Rodeu Neombeowon (MBC / 2010) - Lee Jang-Woo
- I am GHOST (BEE TV / 2009)
- Cain and Abel | Kaingwa Abel (SBS / 2009) - Lee Cho-In
- Sorry, I Love You | Mihanhamda, Saranghanda (KBS / 2004) - Cha Moo-Hyuk
- Something Happened In Bali | Ballieseo saengkin il (SBS / 2004) - Kang In-Wook
- Love of Thousands Years | Cheonnyeonjiae (SBS / 2003)
- Glass Slippers | Yuri Goodu (SBS / 2002)
- We Are Dating Now | Jikeumeun Yeonaejung (SBS / 2002)
- Law Firm | Lopeom (SBS / 2001) - Choi Jang-Jeun
- Delicious Proposal | Mashineun Cheonghun (MBC / 2001) - Jang Hee-Moon
- Long Way | Meon Kil (SBS / 2001)
- Cheers for the Women | Yeoja Manse (2000)
- 8 Love Stories | Reobeuseutori (SBS / 1999-2000) - Cheol-Soo (Ep.6 "Miss Hip-pop & Mr Rock")
- Three Guys and Three Girls | Namja set Yeoja set (MBC / 1999)
- Model (SBS / 1997)
- MBC Best Theater - What You Cherish Can Never Be Forgotten | Beseuteugukjang - Kanjikhan Keoteun Ithyeojiji Ahnneunda (MBC / 1998)
- Best Actor (mini series) ("The Master's Sun") - 2013 SBS Drama Awards - December 31, 2013
- Ten Star Award ("The Master's Sun") - 2013 SBS Drama Awards - December 31, 2013
- Best Actor (drama special) ("Phantom") - 2012 SBS Drama Awards - December 31, 2012
- Ten Star Award ("Phantom") - 2012 SBS Drama Awards - December 31, 2012
- Grand Award for Acting ("Always") - 2011 (19th) Korean Culture Entertainment Award - December 15m 2011
- Best New Actor ("Rough Cut") - 2009 (45th) PaekSang Arts Awards - February 27, 2009
- Best Actor ("Rough Cut") - 2008 (28th) Critics Choice Awards - November, 2008
- Best New Actor ("Rough Cut") - 2008 (29th) Blue Dragon Film Awards - November 20, 2008
- Korean Actor So Ji-sub to Court Zhang Ziyi Onscreen, "Korea Times," August 14, 2009.