Faith (Korean Drama)
Current user rating: 94/100 (8618 votes)
- Drama: The Great Doctor / Faith
- Revised romanization: Shinui
- Hangul: 신의
- Director: Kim Jong-Hak
- Writer: Song Ji-Na
- Network: SBS
- Episodes: 24
- Release Date: August 13, 2012 - October 30, 2012
- Runtime: Monday & Tuesday 21:55
- Genre: Medical / Fantasy / Romance / Time Travel / Period
- Language: Korean
- Country: South Korea
"Faith" depicts the love between a warrior from the Goryeo Period and a female doctor from the present day, their love transcending time and space.
King Gongmin (Ryu Deok-Hwan), who was held as a hostage in Yuan (China) for an extended period of time, becomes the King of Goryeo (Korea). He married Princess Nogoog (Park Se-Young), who is the Princess of Yuan. Choi Young (Lee Min-Ho) and his men escort King Gongmin and Princess Nogoog from Yuan to Goryeo.
On the way to Goryeo, the group stays at an inn. Assassins then break into the inn and attack their group. During the struggle, Princess Nogoog's neck is slashed by an assassin's sword. Jang Bin (Phillip Lee), who is the most renown doctor in Goryeo, states that he can't save her. If Princess Nogoog dies, Yuan will takeover Goryeo completely. King Gongmin's vassal asks King Gongmin to go pray on a mountain near a mystical source of light. When they get there, they see the mysterious lights swirling around like an entrance to a vacuum. King Gongmin's vassal tells the King that the swirling lights is actually a portal where they can retrieve a great doctor from the heavens. King Gongmin then tasks Choi Young to enter the portal and retrieve the great doctor.
After entering the mystical swirling lights, Choi Young finds himself beneath a statute at a temple. When he leaves the grounds of the temple, Choi Young is confused by the strange sights. He sees modern buildings, contemporary people and automobiles. Choi Young goes back to the temple, which is actually a traditional village area in the middle of present day Seoul, and spots a monk walking by. Choi Young asks the monk where he can find the great doctor. The monk tells Choi Young that at the nearby COEX building, where a medical convention is taking place, he can find the best doctors there.
Choi Young makes his way to the COEX building and walks into the medical convention area. He then enters a seminar room and sees a woman speaking to a large audience. The woman is Dr. Yoo Eun-Soo (Kim Hee-Seon). Choi Young believes that she must be the great doctor. No sooner than he makes his conclusion, Choi Young is quickly dragged out of the conference room by security guards and taken to a room to be interrogated. Choi Young then sees Dr. Yoo Eun-Soo walking through the convention hall on the CCTV monitors placed on the wall in the interrogation room. Choi Young then knocks down the security guards and makes his way back onto the convention center floor.
After giving her seminar, Dr. Yoo Eun-Soo walked through the convention center floor, examining the latest surgical equipment that is on display. Choi Young then appears in front of her and asks her to go with him so she can treat someone that is gravely wounded. Yoo Eun-Soo refuses to go with the man that is dressed like a soldier from ancient times. Choi Young, not yet sure if she is the great doctor, takes out his sword and slashes the neck of a nearby man. Choi Young orders Yoo Eun-Soo to save the man. Yoo Eun-Soo is freaked out by Choi Young's actions, but her doctor instincts kicks in and she works to save the life of the man. Choi Young is now sure that Yoo Eun-Soo is indeed the great doctor and that she can save Princess Nogoog.
At this time, the police storm into the convention hall floor and surround Choi Young and Yoo Eun-Soo. Choi Young then summons his own mystical powers to completely obliterate the police officers surrounding them. Choi Young takes Dr. Yoo Eun-Soo back to the temple, where the time portal exists. On the way there, Yoo Eun-Soo begs Choi Young to let her go, but Choi Young swears on his life that if she saves Princess Nogoog he will let her go back.
When they exit the portal, Choi Young and Dr. Yoo Eun-Soo are standing in front of King Gongmin, his vassal and Choi Young's men. They all go to the inn where Princess Nogoog is nearing death.
- Lee Joon-Gi was initially cast for the male lead, but due to his impending mandatory military requirement he had to drop out of the project.
- "The Great Doctor" takes over the SBS Monday & Tuesday 21:55 time slot previously occupied by "The Chaser" and will be replaced by "The Lord of Dramas" November, 2012.
- Actress Kim Hee-Seon, visited a hospital in Gangnam, Seoul on May 8, 2012. She plays a doctor in the drama series and learned how doctors hold the scalpel and scissors and also how doctors move their hands while performing surgery.
- Filming for "The Great Doctor" began May 24, 2012. First scene took place at Bongeun Temple in Seoul, South Korea. The scene filmed involved main actor Lee Min-Ho playing Choi Young as he arrives in the present day from the Goryeo Period. His goal is to take Dr. Eun-Soo (Kim Hee-Seon) back to to the Goryeo Period.
- Actor Ahn Jae-Wook makes a cameo appearance in ep.1. and will play a doctor. Shooting for his scene took place August 10, 2012 at Hanyang University Guri Hospital in Guri, South Korea.
- Actor Choi Min-Su makes a cameo appearance in ep.4. Choi Min-Su will play Moon Chi-Hoo, master of main character Choi Young (Lee Min-Ho). Choi Min-Su's Moon Chi-Hoo is aware of Choi Young's secret past and why he doesn't have the will to live, which is revealed in ep.4.
|Lee Min-Ho||Kim Hee-Seon||Yu Oh-Seong||Phillip Lee||Sung Hoon|
|Choi Young||Yoo Eun-Soo||Ki Cheol||Jang Bin||Cheon Eum-Ja|
|Shin Eun-Jung||Ryu Deok-Hwan||Park Se-Young||Lee Byung-Joon||Baek Gwang-Doo|
|Hwa Soo-In||King Gongmin||Princess Nogoog||Jo Il-Shin||Bae Choong-Sik|
|Kim Jong-Moon||Kang Chang-Mook||Yoon Gyun-Sang||Kim Soo-Yeon|
Additional Cast Members:
- Kim Mi-Kyung - Court lady Choi
- Kwon Min - An Do-Chi
- Park Yoon-Jae - Prince Deokheung
- Jo In-Pyo - Koo Yang-Kak
- Choi Jin-Suk - Ki Won
- Hwang Woo-Yeon - Ja Woon
- Jung Yoo-Chan - Joo Seok
- Ji Yoon-Ho - Ji Ho
- Oh Jae-Moo - Lee Sung-Kye
- Choi Chang-Yub - Shi Wool
- Kim Tae-Han - An Jae
- Kim Hyeong-Jong - Lee Saek
- Kwang Hoon - Jum Oh
- Lee Sook - Ma-Ma
- Ahn Jae-Wook - Eun-Soo's ex-boyfriend (cameo)
- Oh Gwang-Rok - fortune-teller (cameo)
- Choi Min-Soo - Moon Chi-Hoo (cameo)
- Park Hwi-Sun - Eun-Soo's ex-boyfriend (cameo)
- Oh Hyun-Chul - King Choonghye (cameo)
- Choi Won-Hong - Prince Kyungchang (cameo)
- Park Sang-Won - Son-Yoo (cameo)
|2012-08-13||1||12.2% (9th)||13.8% (5th)||9.4% (16th)||10.8% (10th)|
|2012-08-14||2||11.8% (9th)||13.1% (7th)||10.3% (9th)||11.4% (7th)|
|2012-08-20||3||13.4% (10th)||15.8% (5th)||10.3% (17th)||11.6% (10th)|
|2012-08-21||4||13.2% (8th)||15.5% (5th)||11.5% (12th)||12.8% (7th)|
|2012-08-27||5||12.9% (11th)||14.5% (6th)||10.6% (16th)||11.6% (13th)|
|2012-08-28||6||13.1% (10th)||14.8% (8th)||12.2% (14th)||13.5% (13th)|
|2012-09-03||7||12.3% (8th)||13.9% (7th)||9.8% (12th)||10.9% (8th)|
|2012-09-04||8||12.6% (11th)||13.9% (7th)||11.0% (12th)||12.4% (8th)|
|2012-09-10||9||11.6% (13th)||12.8% (6th)||11.8% (10th)||13.2% (6th)|
|2012-09-11||10||11.7% (14th)||13.0% (9th)||11.2% (10th)||11.4% (9th)|
|2012-09-17||11||11.8% (15th)||13.5% (9th)||10.4% (16th)||11.3% (13th)|
|2012-09-18||12||11.2% (13th)||12.2% (8th)||10.1% (13th)||11.0% (11th)|
|2012-09-24||13||10.7% (11th)||12.2% (7th)||9.7% (12th)||10.9% (10th)|
|2012-09-25||14||10.2% (17th)||11.6% (10th)||9.0% (17th)||9.7% (15th)|
|2012-10-01||15||11.1% (7th)||12.7% (7th)||9.3% (14th)||9.9% (11th)|
|2012-10-02||16||9.6% (17th)||10.2% (13th)||9.5% (18th)||9.7% (13th)|
|2012-10-08||17||13.2% (6th)||14.1% (6th)||10.5% (12th)||11.4% (9th)|
|2012-10-09||18||11.5% (15th)||13.0% (8th)||9.9% (13th)||10.6% (13th)|
|2012-10-15||19||9.2% (17th)||10.6% (13th)||8.8% (19th)||9.5% (17th)|
|2012-10-16||20||10.7% (11th)||11.9% (7th)||9.9% (8th)||10.9% (8th)|
|2012-10-22||21||10.2% (19th)||11.7% (9th)||9.3% (19th)||10.5% (12th)|
|2012-10-23||22||9.7% (17th)||11.6% (9th)||8.9% (17th)||10.0% (14th)|
|2012-10-29||23||9.1% (20th)||10.3% (13th)||NR||9.7% (15th)|
|2012-10-30||24||10.5% (15th)||11.4% (11th)||10.1% (14th)||10.9% (13th)|
- NR denotes not ranked within the Top 20 daily shows according to TNS Media Korea and AGB Nielson.
- 2012 SBS Drama Awards - December 31, 2012