Current user rating: 92/100 (13685 votes)
- Name: Han Hyo-Joo
- Korean: 한효주
- Birthdate: February 22, 1987
- Birthplace: Cheongju, South Korea
- University: Dongguk University
- Height: 172cm
- Blood Type: A
- Instagram: hanhyojoo222
Han Hyo-Joo was born on February 22, 1987 in Cheongju, Chungcheongbuk-do, South Korea. Her mother worked as an elementary school teacher before becoming an inspector for public schools and her father worked in the military. As a child, Han Hyo-Joo was good in sports and enjoyed track & field. In her sophomore year of high school, Han Hyo-Ju moved to Seoul and attended Bulgok High School. Although her father, conservative & strict, opposed her move to Seoul she was able to go forth with her wishes. After high school, Han Hyo-Joo majored in theatre at Dongguk University. According to Han Hyo-Ju, her personality fits her blood type-A classification: calm, doesn't get angry easily, & able to endure without a lot of expression.
In 2003, Han Hyo-Ju won the grand prize for the Miss Bing-geure contest, which attracted the attention from the entertainment world (Bing-geure is a Korean food company). In 2005, Han Hyo-Ju received her first acting roles in the MBC sitcom “Nonstop 5” and the movie “My Boss, My Teacher”. Her debut performances went largely unnoticed. In 2006 Han Hyo-Ju received her first leading role in the KBS2 drama “Spring Waltz”. Director Yun Seok-Ho of “Spring Waltz” stated that he first got the idea to cast Han Hyo-Joo after browsing the Internet and coming across her picture. Yun Seok-Ho felt she still held the purity of a child and a sense of mysteriousness which suited her character well. Han Hyo-Joo also stated that working on “Spring Waltz” was difficult, largely due to her inexperience in acting.
Han Hyo-Joo's first leading performance in a feature film came with the 2006 independent film “Ad-Lib Night,” helmed by well-regarded director Lee Yoon-Ki. Han Hyo-Joo's experience working on “Ad-Lib Night” went far more smoothly than her first leading role in a drama series. Han Hyo-Joo recalled that the one month shoot seemed to zoom by and wished it could have lasted longer. Her performance was enthusiastically received by critics and Han Hyo-Joo received “Best Actress” awards from the 26th Korean Movie Critics Organization and the 20th Singapore International Film Festival.
Han Hyo-Joo's commercial break-out role came with her performance in the popular 2009 SBS drama series “Brilliant Legacy,” alongside actor/singer Lee Seung-Ki. The drama series, mixing a healthy dose of Korean melodrama with a Charles Dickens' “Great Expectations” like storyline, captured the attention of Koreans throughout the summer of 2009. “Brilliant Legacy”regularly received ratings in excess of 40% and catapulted Han Hyo-Joo as one of the more popular young actresses in Korea. With her popularity, media reports and gossip magazines began to speculate on who Han Hyo-Joo was dating.
In 2010, Han Hyo-Joo branched out of her comfort zone and took the lead role in the MBC historical drama series “Dong Yi”.
- Some of Han Hyo-Joo's hobbies include watching movies, reading books, and children's storytelling.
- Han Hyo-Joo is also a fan of Japanese movies and learned Japanese language because of Japanese movies. She has also appeared in the joint Korean-Japanese production "Postman to Heaven" and the 2006 independent film "Ad-Lib Night" - which is based on a Japanese short story.
- Read Q&A for movie "Always" with So Ji-Sub, Han Hyo-Joo and director Song Il-Gon (from press conference at the 2011 Busan International Film Festival).
- For the release of Japanese film "My Back Page" in South Korea, Han Hyo-Joo took part in a "barrier free" version (featuring descriptive audio and subtitles for people with hearing or visual impairments). Han Hyo-Joo provided the descriptive audio for the movie. "My Back Page" is released in South Korea on March 15, 2012.
| Latest News
|| Latest Trailers
|* Yukino Kishii & Minami Hamabe cast in movie "Yagate Umi e to Todoku"
|* Etsushi Toyokawa & Tomoya Nakamura cast in Amazon drama "No Activity"
|* Im Si-Wan, Ko Ah-Sung cast in Wavve drama "Tracer"
|* Bae Suzy, Jung Eun-Chae cast in Coupang Play drama "Anna"
|* Ryoma Takeuchi, Ayami Nakajo cast in Hulu drama "Love You as the World Ends"
|* Seo Hyun-Jin, Hwang In-Yeop cast in SBS drama "Why Oh Soo-Jae?"
|* Moon Geun-Young, Jo Han-Sun cast in KBS2 drama "Memories of Hae-Gak"
|* Riku Hagiwara, Yusei Yagi cast in MBS drama "Utsukushii Kare"
|* Kim Jae-Wook & Krystal cast in KBS2 drama "Crazy Love"
|* Lee Byung-Hun, Shin Min-A cast in drama "Our Blues"
|* Ryunosuke Kamiki cast in WOWO drama "Ryunosuke Kamiki's Filming Break"
|* Lim Soo-Hyang & Sung Hoon cast in drama "From Today We Are"
|* Lee Joon-Gi, Lee Kyoung-Young cast in SBS drama "Again My life"
|* Ji Chang-Wook, Sung Dong-Il cast in drama "If You Say Wish"
|* Lee Da-Hee, Cha Eun-Woo cast in OCN drama "Island"
- 한효주 “성격이 조금씩 다혈질로 변해요”, IS Plus, April 21, 2009.
- 행운처럼 다가온 ‘아주 특별한’ 봄바람, <아주 특별한 손님>의 한효주, Cine21, November 30, 2006.
- 한효주 “손댄곳 없지만 성형 거부감 없어요”, Joins, August 7, 2009.