Current user rating: 83/100 (352 votes)
Plot Synopsis by AsianWiki Staff ©
In the year 2014, to combat global warming, a chemical is released into the atmosphere, but with disastrous results. The world soon becomes completely covered in ice and snow.
Now in the year 2031, life on Earth is barren except on the train Snowpiercer. The train has been circling the world perpetually for years. The train has a 1001 coaches with passengers separated between the first class and coach. The first class passengers are wealthy patrons who paid for their expensive tickets when the train was first set to launch. Passengers in coach are free loaders who boarded the train out of sheer desperation. Life for the coach passengers are hellish as they are fed only a mysterious substance known as protein jelly and are kept in line by the threat of violence by security. A man from the coach section named Curtis then sets out to take over the engine room and free his people from the tyranny of the first class passengers. Meanwhile, a Korean man named Namgoong Min-Soo possesses inside knowledge on how to bypass the security systems found within each section of the train.
- "Snowpiercer" is based on the French comic "Le Transperceneige" by Jacques Lob.
- September 15, 2010 - director Bong Joon-Ho has finished the first draft for "Snow Piercer".
- Second draft was finished December 8th, 2010.
- May, 2011 - the final draft has been completed.. Movie will contain roughly 50% Korean dialogue & 50% English. Pre-production has commenced. Art director Ryoo Seung-Hee and his team is working on the art design - front and back of the train, engine.
- Approximately 90% of the movie takes place on the snow train. Shooting set for the snow train takes place at Barrandov Studio in Prague, Czech Republic.
- Filming began April 16, 2012. Some preliminary shooting took place in late March on Hintertux Glacier, Tirol - a western province of Austria.
- July 2, 2012 - Korean distributor CJ Entertainment has decided to invest a total of 45 billion won ($39 million USD) for the movie "Snowpiercer". CJ Entertainment originally planned to invest 15 billion won and receive domestic (Korean) distribution rights, with the rest of the money coming from investors overseas. Even though filming began in April, Hollywood companies postponed their investments until after watching the movie. Because of this, CJ Entertainment has decided to increase their investment to the 45 billion won total. The movie is on track to finish filming in late July or August, 2012.
- July 14, 2012 - filming for "Snowpiercer" finished July 14, 2012. The movie filmed in the countries of Austria & the Czech Republic.
- Even before the movie's release, "Snowpiercer" has recouped nearly half of its investment cost thanks to licensing sales (20 billon won) to international territories including US, Canada, England, New Zealand, Fance, Japan, Rusia, East Europe, South America and East Asia.
- According to KOFIC, movie "Snowpiercer" surpassed 5 million admissions in 10 days. It is tied with "The Thieves" and Hollywood film "Iron Man" as the second fastest film in South Korea to surpass 5 million admissions. Director Bong Joon-Ho's prior film "The Host" holds the record by passing 5 million admissions in 9 days.
| Latest News
|| Latest Trailers