White Night (Korean Movie)
Current user rating: 95/100 (586 votes)
- Movie: White Night
- Revised romanization: Baekyahaeng
- Hangul: 백야행 : 하얀 어둠 속을 걷다
- Director: Park Shin-Woo
- Writer: Park Shin-Woo, Park Yeon-Sun, Oh Sang-Ho, Keigo Higashino (original novel)
- Producer: Kang Woo-Suk
- Cinematographer: Lee Chang-Jae
- Release Date: November 19, 2009
- Runtime: 135 min.
- Genre: Mystery
- Distributor: Cinema Service, CJ Entertainment
- Language: Korean
- Country: South Korea
A man is murdered shortly after his release from prison. Detective Han Dong-Su (Han Suk-Kyu) investigates the case, which leads him back to a homicide case that occurred 14 years ago. An unsolved case that eats the soul of Detective Han Dong-Su to this day.
Meanwhile, Mi-Ho (Son Ye-Jin) is set to marry the chief executive of a large corporation. An assistant (Lee Min-Jung) to the executive chief is asked to do a background check on Mi-Ho. She discovers that Mi-Ho's mother was the primary suspect in an unsolved murder case 14 years ago. The assistant also notices another man, Yo-Han (Ko Soo), who always seems to linger by Mi-Ho's side.
Detective Han Dong-Su is convinced that Yo-Han, the victim's son from the 14 year old murder case, is somehow involved in the recent murder. Detective Han Dong-Su then discovers a hidden relationship between Yo-Han and Mi-Ho. As more crimes occur, Detective Detective Han Dong-Su works frantically to uncover the truth ...
- Based on popular Japanese mystery writer Keigo Higashino's story "Byakuyako," first published in Shueisha magazine from 1977 to 1979. "Byakuyako" was then compiled into a best selling novel.
- Filming began March 1, 2009.
- At a press conference for "White Night," held in Seoul on October 21st, director Shin-woo Park revealed he was part of a high school study group that also included main actress Son Ye-Jin.
- Actor Han Suk-Kyu initially turned down the role of Det. Dong-su Han because his character is over 50 years old and Han Suk-Kyu is in his 40's. Movie director Shin-woo Park then met with Han Suk-Kyu personally & persuaded him to accept the role.
- "White Night" opened #2 at the South Korean box office selling 292,504 tickets on 480 screens and accounting for 17.2% of all tickets sold during its opening Nov. 20th-22th weekend.
- Related titles:
|Han Suk-Kyu||Son Ye-Jin||Ko Soo||Lee Min-Jung|
Additional Cast Members:
- Joo Da-Young - Ji-Ah
- Lee Jong-Won - Seung-Jo
- Cha Hwa-Yeon - Seo Hae-Yeong
- Jo Seok-Hyeon - Detective Choi
- Park Sung-Woong - Cha Seung-Jo
- Won Deok-Hyeon - Yo-Han (young)
- Han Kuk-Jin - Detective Oh
- Park Jin-Woo - Detective Kim
- Seo Jin-Won - Detective Jang
- Han Chul-Woo - Detective Ko
- Kim Sung-Oh - 40 year old man
- Yoon Da-Kyung - Park Mi-Yeon
- Ye Soo-Jung - aunt
- Jo Kyung-Sook - Yang Mi-Sook
- Seo Dong-Soo - forensics supervisor
- Bang Joong-Hyun - Jo Min-Woo
- Choi Jin-Ho - Kim Si-Hoo
- Kim Young-Sun - female teacher
- Yoo Il-Han - Agent Chae-Jeung
- Jo Yeon-Ho - Incheon Detective Squad Chief
- "Son Ye-jin, Ko Soo to Bring Mystery Romance". "Korea Times," October 21, 2009.