Current user rating: 90/100 (1013 votes)
Plot Synopsis by AsianWiki Staff ©
Kim Hyuk (Joo Jin-Mo) lives the fast life as a high ranking mobster in the port city of Busan, South Korea. His closet friend is fellow mobster Lee Young-Choon (Song Seung-Heon). Even though Kim Hyuk seems to be on top of the world, he is haunted by the memory of leaving behind his younger brother Kim Chul (Kim Kang-Woo) and mother as they attempted to flee into South Korea from North Korea. Kim Hyuk's mother was beaten to death and Kim Chul imprisoned after they were caught by North Korean authorities.
Kim Hyuk then travels to Thailand with new gang recruit Jung Tae-Min (Jo Han-Sun) for a meeting with Thai gangsters. The meeting turns out to be a set-up, planned in part by Jung Tae-Min. Kim Hyuk is able to shoot his way out the meeting, but he is later caught by the Thai police and imprisoned. When good friend Lee Young-Choon hears of what happened to Kim Hyuk in Thailand, he goes to the Thai gang's holdout in Pusan to kill their boss. During the shootout Jung Tae-Min is shot in the leg.
Three years later, Kim Hyuk is finallly released from prison and travels back to Busan. He finds his close friend Lee Young-Choon washing cars now and has a limp leg. Jung Tae-Min, the man that betrayed him, has climbed up the mob ranks and is now a feared crime boss. Furthermore, Kim Hyuk's younger brother Kim Chul has arrived in Busan and works for the Busan Police Department. Meanwhile, Kim Chul keeps close tabs on Jung Tae-Min as he attempts to take down their gang.
When Jung Tae-Min attempts to take out Kim Hyuk's younger brother, Kim Hyuk throws himself back into the gang world to exact revenge.
- "Mukeokja" is a remake of John Woo's 1986 film "A Better Tomorrow".
- Korean title "Mujeokja" has two different meanings:
- no opponent to compete
- no country
- Remake rights were bought by South Korea's Fingerprint production company from Hong Kong's Fortune Star Entertainment in 2006.
- Song Seung-Heon will play the role originally performed by Chow Yun-Fat and Kim Kang-Woo will play the role originally performed by Leslie Cheung.
- Story for "Mukeokja" will differ from the original "A Better Tomorrow".
- Filming began January 25th, 2010 in Thailand. Shooting will last for 20 days, then move to Korea.
- Filming location in Korea took place largely in Pusan, South Korea & received grant rebates from the Busan Film Commission (BFC).
- Early working English title was "Invincible" but changed to "A Better Tomorrow".
Additional Cast Members:
| Latest News
|| Latest Trailers