Current user rating: 93/100 (211 votes)
- Movie: Woochi
- Revised romanization: Jeon Woo Chi
- Hangul: 전우치
- Director: Choi Dong-Hun
- Writer: Choi Dong-Hun
- Producer: Eugene Lee, Katherine Kim, Lee Tae-Hun
- Cinematographer Choi Young-Hwan
- Release Date: December 23, 2009
- Runtime: 120 min.
- Genre: Action / Comedy / Fantasy / Time Travel
- Production Company: Zip Cinema
- Distributor: CJ Entertainment
- Production Budget: $12 Million
- Language: Korean
- Country: South Korea
"Woochi" begins in the Chosun Dynasty in 1509 and involves a trio of Taoist wizards, a magician named Jeon Woo Chi (Gang Dong-Won) and his dog turned man, a corrupt king, evil goblins, and a prophetic pipe everyone is after. Eventually Jeon Woo Chi becomes sealed inside an ancient scroll for a crime he did not commit.
Jumping ahead to the year 2009, the wizards are called out of peaceful retirement as goblins start appearing in modern Korea to wreak havoc all around. The trio call on Jeon Woo Chi, who is released from his ancient scroll entrapment, in to save the day. Problem is Jeon Woo Chi, a kind of anti-superhero, becomes more interested in sight-seeing and womanizing in modern day Korea.
- Story is derived from the Korean folklore "Tale of Jeon Woo Chi"
- Filming took place from September 2008 - May 18th, 2009.
- Filming locations include Seoul, Busan, Daegu, Cheolwon, Cheonju, and Ik-san, South Korea and also Boracay, Philippines.
- During the American Film Market (November 4th-11th, 2009), CJ Entertainment presented a 5 minute video of "Jeon Woo Chi" which helped to spur sales to 9 countries (Germany, China, Netherlands, Belgium, Luxembourg, Singapore, Malaysia, Indonesia and Brunei).
- "Woochi" opened #2 at the South Korean box office during its opening (Dec. 25-27) weekend. The film sold 1,273,900 tickets on 692 screens and took in 32.1% of all tickets sold that weekend.
- Related titles:
- Jeon Woo-Chi | Jeonwoochi (KBS2 / 2012)
|Gang Dong-Won||Lim Soo-Jung||Kim Yun-Seok||Baek Yoon-Sik|
|Jeon Woo-Chi||Seo In-Kyung||Hwadam||Master Wizard|
|Yu Hae-Jin||Yum Jung-Ah||Joo Jin-Mo||Kim Sang-Ho||Song Young-Chang|
Additional Cast Members:
- Kim Hyo-Jin - Red Hair Woman
- Baek Do-Bin - Japanese sympathiser
- Lee Mi-Do - court lady 2
- Park Nam-Hee - noble married woman
- No Jun-Ho - guard 1
- Lee Sook - Lee Chun Daek
- Lee Dae-Ro - politician
- Bang Kil-Seung - man wearing yellow hanbok
- Sun Woo-Sun - doctor
- Jeon Sang-Jin - bar owner
- Choi Jin-Ho - tailor
- Park Ji-Yeon - staff member at CF studio
- Kim Ki-Cheon - nobleman
- Choi Gyo-Sik - nobleman 3
- Park Soo-Young - son of nobleman
- Kim Ji-Min - yellow hanbok 3
- Jang Joon-Nyoung - manager
- Park Sung-Hoon - one of 10 Jeon Woo Chi's
- 2010 (12th) Udine Far East Film - April 23-May 1, 2010 *International Festival Premiere
- 2010 (14th) Puchon International Fantastic Film Festival - July 15-25, 2010 - World Fantastic Cinema
- 2011 (9th) New York Korean Film Festival - September 20-October 3, 2010
- 2010 (6th) Fantastic Fest - September 23-30, 2010
- 2010 (43rd) Sitges Film Festival - October 7-14, 2010 - Casa Àsia
- 2010 (30th) Hawaii International Film Festival - October 14-24, 2010 - Spotlight on Korea *Hawaii Premiere
- Best Cinematography (Choi Young-Hwan) - 2010 (30th) Critics Choice Awards - November 8