Current user rating: 82/100 (216 votes)
- Movie: The Servant (English title) / A Story of Bangja (literal title)
- Revised romanization: Bang Ja Jeon
- Hangul: 방자전
- Director: Kim Dae-Woo
- Writer: Kim Dae-Woo
- Producer: Moon Yang-Kwon, Im Seung-Yong, Seo Woo-Sik, Park Dae-Hee
- Cinematographer: Kim Young-Min
- Assistant Director: Yoon Chang-Mo
- Release Date: June 3, 2010
- Runtime: 124 min.
- Genre: Drama
- Production Company: Barunson Film Divsion
- Distributor: CJ Entertainment
- Language: Korean
- Country: South Korea
Plot Synopsis by AsianWiki Staff ©
"A Story of Bangja" is based on the popular South Korean folktale "Chung Hyang." The movie then twists the story around to ask what would happen if Lee Mong-Ryong was unattractive, while his servant Bang Ja Jeon was attractive? During Lee Mong-Ryong's courtship with Lady Chun Hyang both parties use their servants to communicate ...
- Based on the Korean folktale "Chung Hyang".
- The original folktale "Chun Hyang" involves young Lee Mong Ryong who comes from a high ranking family with his father being the local area Governor. Lee Mong Ryong then falls in love with Chun Hyang, the daughter of a gisaeng and thus someone from a low social rank. Nevertheless, the couple then goes through an initial courtship and becomes romantically involved. One day, Lee Mong Ryong learns that his father has been transferred to another area and he must follow his father as he will prepare for his government entrance exam. Before he leaves, he promises to return to Chun Hyang as the Governor and marry her. Trouble then brews for Chun Hyang when the new local Governor arrives and takes interest in the beautiful Chun Hyang. The new Governor attempts to force Chun Hyang to become his mistressm but she refuses. Chun Hyang is then imprisoned and sentenced to death. On the day that Chun Hyang is scheduled to be executed, Lee Mong Ryong returns to reveal his new job position (he has now become an "amhaeng'eosa" - a secretive government position where he is required to check on other government officials) and save Chun Hyang from death.
- Director Dae-woo Kim has stated that one of the requirements to play the character "Chun Hyang" would be scenes involving partial nudity (actress Yeo-Jeong Jo landed the role of Chun Hyang). 
- Filming begins end of September, 2009.
- Shooting locations include Milyang & Yangsuri, South Korea
- Related titles:
- The Servant | Bang Ja Jeon (CGV / 2011)
Additional Cast Members:
| Latest News
|| Latest Trailers