Current user rating: 91/100 (119 votes)
- Movie: Su-ki-da /Sukida
- Romaji: Su-ki-da / Sukida
- Japanese: 好きだ
- Director: Hiroshi Ishikawa
- Writer: Hiroshi Ishikawa
- Producer: Hiroshi Ishikawa, Hisashi Tsugiya
- Cinematographer: Hiroshi Ishikawa, Koji Onomichi
- Release Date: February 25, 2005
- Runtime: 113 min.
- Genre: Drama
- Distributor: Bitters End
- Language: Japanese
- Country: Japan
Two kids meet near a floodgate after school. Yu is a shy 17 year old girl who sits down next to Yosuke as he plays his guitar. Yosuke recently gave up playing sports and has devoted himself to playing the guitar. He only plays a few lines over and over, as he tries to make a song from what he feels. Their relationship progresses tentatively as they both have difficulty in expressing their feelings and thoughts. One day Yu takes the initiative and kisses Yosuke. Yosuke responds by picking up his guitar and going home. Years later Yu wonders, “Why did I cry? Why didn’t I stop crying? Why?”..while Yosuke wonders “Why did I run away from you that time?”
Fast forward seventeen years later. They haven’t seen each since their days in high school and now have moved on with their separate and empty lives. That is until one day they randomly meet during an audition. They agree to go out together after work for drinks. As the evening turns into the early morning, they are still awake sharing memories of their high school days. After 17 years Yosuke finally kisses Yu. Yu starts to cry again and they soon go to visit her older sister.
The next day Yosuke decides to call Yu and make good on a promise he made to her 17 years ago, that is he would play her his song when it is completed. Yu agrees to meet him again and Yosuke goes home to get his acoustic guitar. While on his way to meet Yu, fate deals a strange twist to their plans, perhaps this will be the moment where they can finally say “Sukida.”
- The scenes shot in the first half of the movie dealing with Yu and Yosuke as teenagers were shot in Odate City in Akita Prefecture in September of 2003. For the scenes involving Yu and Yosuke as adults those were shot in Tokyo starting in January of 2004. The final closing scene was shot back in Odate city in February of 2004.
- The guitar song comes from "Dear Blue" composed by Yōko Kanno.
| Latest News
|| Latest Trailers