Current user rating: 77/100 (78 votes)
- Movie: Le Grand Chef 2: Kimchi Battle
- Revised romanization: Sikgaek : Kimchi Jeonjaeng
- Hangul: 식객 : 김치전쟁
- Director: Baek Dong-Hun
- Writer: Huh Young-Man (comic), Shin Dong-Ik
- Producer: Choi Joon-Young, Kim Hong-Sub, Choi Chang-Won, Lee Sung-Hun
- Cinematographer: Cho Yong-Kyu
- Release Date: January 28, 2010
- Runtime: 119 min.
- Genre: Drama / Food / Based on a Comic
- Distributor: Lotte Entertainment
- Language: Korean
- Country: South Korea
Plot Synopsis by AsianWiki Staff ©
"Le Grand Chef 2" begins with the Korean president visiting the Japanese Prime Minister and becoming involved in a heated debate over the origins of kimchi. The Japanese Prime Minister makes the bold claim that kimchi is an original Japanese dish which sets off the Korean president.
Upon the Korean's president return home he sets upon a globalization plan for kimchi, which includes a nationwide "Kimchi Contest". Then, a lady named Jang-Eun (Kim Jung-Eun) and her step-brother Seong-Chan (Jin Goo) compete in the Kimchi dish contest, with both siblings using their mother's kimchi recipe.
Jang-Eun is a famed chef in Japan who returns to Korea to compete in the contest. Jang-Eun also wants to close down "Chunyang-gak" - the traditional Korean restaurant that her mother has been running. Jang-Eun has felt that her mother loved the restaurant more than herself and her own daughter. Meanwhile, Seong-Chan wants to keep the restaurant and proposes to his step-sister that the winner of the Kimchi contest should have the rights to their mother's restaurant ...
- Filming commenced August, 2009 and finished November 16th, 2009.
- Approximately 30% of the film will be shot in Gwangju, South Korea. The city enthusiastically welcomes the filming of "Le Grand Chef 2," as the city is known for its traditional Korean cuisine and also holds the annual "Gwangju Kimchi Cultural Festival."
- Main actors Kim Jung-Eun & Jin Goo both took 3 months of cooking lessons from food director Kim Soo-Jin prior to production.
- According to JS Media & Entertainment (distributor of Korean films in the U.S.), "Le Grand Chef 2: Kimchi Battle" will screen in the United States through AMC Theaters starting from February 12th, 2010. The movie will screen in 20 cities, including major markets like New York City, New Jersey, Atlanta, Chicago, and Los Angeles. According to the company, this will be the first time that a Korean film screened simultaneously in South Korea and the United States.
- "Le Grand Chef 2: Kimchi Battle" was chosen to be the opening film for the 2010 KOFFLA (Korean Film Festival in Los Angeles) on March 4th, 2010 (Festival runs from March 4th-7th in L.A.).
- "Le Grand Chef 2: Kimchi Battle" is more of a spin-off from the original 2007 "Le Grand Chef" film rather than a straight sequel. Both films are based on the comic "Sik Gaek" - which started out as a comic strip in the Donga Daily newspaper then turned into a 25 volume comic series, selling over a million copies.
- Related titles:
- Le Grand Chef | Sikgaek (2007)
- Gourmet | Sik Gaek (SBS / 2008)
- Le Grand Chef 2: Kimchi Battle | Sik Gaek : Kimchi Jeon Jaeng (2010)
Additional Cast Members:
| Latest News
|| Latest Trailers