Current user rating: 85/100 (28 votes)
- Movie: Winter Butterfly
- Revised Romanization: Gyewool Nabi
- Hangul: 겨울나비
- Director: Kim Gyu-Min
- Release Date: July 7, 2011
- Runtime : 90 min.
- Country: South Korea
- Language: Korean
Plot Synopsis by AsianWiki Staff ©
Set in North Korea, 11-year-old Jin-Ho (Jeong Seung-Won) lives with his mom (Park So-Yeon). He supports his mom by cutting and selling wood. The one thing that Jin-Ho is afraid of is being left alone in the world.
One day, Jin-Ho has an argument with his mother over a problem caused by his friend Sung-Il. Jin-Ho goes into the mountains alone to cut trees. There he has an accident and becomes lost. His mother looks for him by going into the mountains and the police station, but she's unable to locate him. Jin-Ho wanders around in the mountain suffering from starvation and severe cold weather. Finally, he is able to come down safely out of the mountains, because his mother is at home waiting for him. What Jin-Ho doesn't know is that this is only beginning of his misfortunes ...
- Movie director Kim Gyu-Min was born in North Korea. While attending Rigyesoon University, Kim Gyu-Min decided to defect to South Korea due to his discontent with the North Korean system.
- "Winter Butterfly" is based on a true story and depicts the struggles of a mother and son in North Korea due to food shortages.
- After giving lectures in South Korea, Kim Gyu-Min observed that most people in South Korea believed they knew all about North Korea through media coverage, but, in reality, knew little about North Korea. Kim Gyu-Min feels his movie "Winter Butterfly" will give people a better understanding of North Korea with its realistic depiction of daily life there.
Additional Cast Members:
The media player is loading...
| Latest News
|| Latest Trailers