Current user rating: 87/100 (44 votes)
- Movie: My Heart Beats
- Revised romanization: Shimjangyi Dwine
- Hangul: 심장이 뛰네
- Director: Huh Eun-Hee
- Assistant Director: Kim Jin-Tae
- Release Date: July 28, 2011
- Runtime: 109 min.
- Language: Korean
- Country: South Korea
Plot Synopsis by AsianWiki Staff ©
37-year-old Yoo Jo-Ri is a professor of English and literature. She also likes to watch pornography. It seems the only way she can escape from her dry and shabby life is by watching those videos. One day, she watches an odd erotic video and feels herself wanting to experience similar emotions. Jo-Ri decides to act in an erotic video. She visits Myong-Sook who is her friend and an adult video producer. After going through training and dieting, Jo-Ri is paired with a young adult actor named Byul ...
- Movie was filmed over 40 days in July, 2009 in Busan, South Korea.
- Main actress Yoo Dong-Sook died on November 11, 2010 in a Seoul hospital from complications of the Influenza A (H1N1) virus. Yoo Dong-Sook travelled to Rome, Italy to promote the film "My Heart Beats" during the International Rome Film Festival & upon her return to Korea on October 31, 2010 displayed symptoms of the virus (body aches and respiratory difficulties).
Q&A (PiFan 2011)
Q&A took place after a screening of "My Heart Beats" at the 2011 Puchon International Fantastic Film Festival on July 16, 2011. Appearing on stage is director Huh Eun-Hee, actors Won Tae-Hee, Kang Suk-Ho & Ahn Sung-Kwon. AsianWiki editor Ki Mun was there and transcribed/translated the session.
- Moderator - What made you make "My Hear Beats?"
- Huh Eun-Hee (director) - While teaching a class on feminism and film, I watched a lot of adult films. For 4 weeks our class discussed pornography. At that time I happened to watch a Korean adult film in which a 50ish woman and a young man appear. At that time I was depressed and I thought "what if i wore a mask and appeared in a porno movie?" That was how I started to write about porno. When I was in America to study, I worked as staff member in adult films as a part time job. With that experience, I made a story. The character Joo-Ri is based on one of my friends. More than 80% of the story is nonfiction.
- Moderator - I think acting in this movie might be an unusual experience. I'd like to hear from the actors what kind of experience they had while filming the movie.
- Won Tae-Hee - When I got the script I called the director and told her I liked the character Joo-Ri. I wanted to play her. I liked Joo-Ri more so than my character Byul. Every character in the movie seems real. During preparations for the movie the director delicately took out our emotions. Through that, I learned something I did not feel in other movies. I have watched the completed movie 2 times. What strikes me the most about the film is that the actress becomes more attractive as the story progresses.
- Kang Suk-Ho - This movie was my first long-film acting job, so I felt it was a little difficult and I could have done more. Thanks to the director, I learned a lot. When I watched the completed movie for the first time I thought it was beautiful and cried.
- Ahn Sung-Kwon - When I met the director I told her my first impressions of the movie was like carbonated water. Maybe, I felt less burdened than the other actors because I did not have to do any nude scenes. I don't care whether the material for a movie contains sex or nudity. I think sex is natural like water and air. I did think about and learn what made my heart beat.
- Moderator - "My Heart Beats" received postitive reviews at the International Rome Film Festival last year . I think the movie might receive different reactions from Korean audiences compared to the International Rome Film Festival. Audience at the Rome festival might be more open minded to sex, while, here in Korea, they are becoming more open minded about sex.
- Huh Eun-Hee (director) - At the International Rome Film Festival many older men and women watched the movie. I'm surprised the audience today is largely male. In Rome they asked similar questions like "why did you make this film?," but the audience there seemed to laugh a lot more than here.
- Moderator - Would you talk briefly about main actress Yoo Dong-Sook (died shortly after coming back to South Korea from the Interntional Rome Film Festival)?
- Huh Eun-Hee (director) - The original script had more than two-thirds of the movie requiring her to be nude. Yoo Dong-Sook even refused to have her body pixelated out at certain points. When I began to lose confidence in the movie, Yoo Dong-Sook encourage me by saying we were kind of like crazy beasts. To take part in the movie Yoo Dong-Sook also quit her well paying day job and took the role without any guarantees for the future. The rotten pomegranate in the movie was about 3 months old but she ate it for the movie. As we shot more of the film I became to think of her as a precious actress.
- Moderator - The movie itself sends a clear message. While you acted for the film what did you think of the film and what were you most impressed about?
- Won Tae-Hee - I wondered how I could do all of those nude scenes. In front of all those people. I don't think I can do that again, but at that time I was focused on my role and interacting with the main actress. I still wonder how I did that and that's a good memory for me now.
- Kang Suk-Ho - It's been a while since we filmed the movie. I feel sadness now when we talk about Yoo Dong-Suk. After filming is over we have to let that role go. My memory is kind of foggy now. I thought I could have done better if I was more focused.
- Ahn Sung-Kwon - I described everything I wanted to say with the reference to the movie like drinking carbonated water. I don't think I have more to add than that.
- Audience Question - The main female character chose an unusual way to find happiness. Do you think that really made her more happy?
- Huh Eun-Hee (director) - No, I made this movie because I watched my friends have difficulties when they made movies. I dreamed about making a movie. I am more happy to have a stable life. The main character in the movie is based on my friend's life, except acting in the adult film. She doesn't appear very happy in real life. I think I can feel happiness while I am searching for happiness. I don't think the main character was happy and on that premise I made this movie.
| Latest News
|| Latest Trailers