Current user rating: 91/100 (109 votes)
- Movie: The Last Ronin
- Romaji: Saigo no Chushingura
- Japanese: 最後の忠臣蔵
- Director: Shigemichi Sugita
- Writer: Shoichiro Ikemiya (novel), Yozo Tanaka
- Producer: Hiroyoshi Koiwai, Hiroshi Hattori, Tamotsu Shiina, Akira Sakai, Yasuaki Nagoshi, Shinichiro Inoue, Hiroaki Kitano, Daiji Kawasaki, Zenko Ohhashi, Toshiya Nomura, Tomoyuki Miyakawa
- Cinematographer: Mutsuo Naganuma
- Release Date: December 18, 2010
- Runtime: 133 min.
- Genre: Drama / Period-18th Century / Samurai
- Production Company: Warner Bros., Kadokawa Pictures
- Distributor: Warner Bros.
- Language: Japanese
- Country: Japan
Plot Synopsis by AsianWiki Staff ©
16 years after the fateful "revenge of the Forty-seven Ronin," involving samurais from the Ako domain who avenged their leader and then commited seppuku (ritual suicide), the sole survivor of that incident, Kichiemon Terasaka (Koichi Sato) traverses the country on a mission. His purpose is to find the families of the fallen samurais and spread the truth of the ronin uprising.
On his way to attend the 17th Buddhist ceremony for the 47 Ronins in Kyoto at Choho Shindo's (Masato Ibu) mansion, Kichiemon unexpectedly comes across his close & long time friend Magozaemon Senoo (Koji Yakusho) - who ran away the day before the ronin uprising. Prior to his disappearance, Magozaemon had lost his wife and had no children. His only purpose at the time was to serve Kuranosuke Oishi (Nizaemon Kataoka) and he swore to die for him if necessary. Why Magozaemon disappeared is a mystery Kichiemon still doesn't know the answer too.
After his disappearance, Magozaemon changed his name and hid from the world. Magozaemon gave up his position as a samurair He became a merchant who trades antiques. He lives in a remote house, hidden in a deep bamboo grove, with a beautiful girl named Kane (Nanami Sakuraba). Yu (Narumi Yasuda), who lives near Magozaemon's home, knew about them for the past 16 years. Yu adores Kane, who had no mother, and taught her etiquette, as well as reading and writing. Yu used to be the most popular courtesan in the famous Shimabara district of Kyoto. Yu eventually became a concubine of merchant Jiro Chayashiro (Yoshi Oida), who works a fabric dealer, and gained the favor of the Japan's feudal government. Now, Yu lives a quiet life.
Meanwhile in Kyoto, a puppet show takes place which brings unexpected good fortune for Kane. The sole successor of the Chaya family, Shuichiro (Koji Yamamoto), comes to watch the performance and falls in love with Kane at first sight. Shuichiro doesn't know who Kane is so he asks Magozaemon to find Kane by using his position as a merchant ...
- "The Last Ronin" is adapted from Shoichiro Ikemiya's 1994 novel "Saigo no Chushingura" which is a fictionalized account of the true story of the 47 Ronins that took place in the early 18th century.
- "The Last Ronin" will mark Warner Bros. Japan's first Japanese language picture.
- Filming began Nov. 11th in Kyoto, Japan.
- Nanami Sakuraba has been cast as one of the principle characters in "The Last Ronin". She will play Kane, secret daughter of Seo Magojaemon (Koji Yakusho) & love interest of wealthy Chaya Shuichiro (Koji Yamamoto).
Additional Cast Members:
| Latest News
|| Latest Trailers