Current user rating: 92/100 (1227 votes)
- Movie: Where the Truth Lies (English title) / The Case of Itaewon Homicide (literal title)
- Revised romanization: Itaewon Salinsageon
- Hangul: 이태원 살인사건
- Director: Hong Ki-Seon
- Writer: Lee Maeng-Yu
- Producer: David Cho
- Release Date: September 10, 2009
- Runtime: 100 min.
- Genre: Crime / Law / Based on True Story
- Distributor: Showbox
- Language: Korean
- Country: South Korea
A college student, Jong-pil Jo, gets into an argument with some youths at fast food restaurant in Itaewon, South Korea. The boy is later found stabbed to death in the restroom of the restaurant. Two Korean-Americans, Pearson and Alex, are known to have gone into the bathroom after Jong-pil Jo and become prime suspects. The prosecution must now determine which of the two committed the crime.
- Film went under the early working title "버거킹 살인사건" / "Beogeoking Salinsajeon" / "Burger King Murder".
- Estimated budget is 1.2 million USD / 1,500,000,000 Wons. Approximately 20% of the budget was funded by KOFIC.
- Based on the true story of the April 3, 1997 murder of college student Jung-pil Jo. The murder took place in the bathroom of Burger King in the Itaewon district of Seoul. Jung-pil Cho was stabbed 9 times in the chest and neck. The names of the murder suspects were changed for the movie.
- Two men, Arthur Patterson (the son of a U.S. military service member) & Edward Lee (a Korean-American civilian), were the primary suspects. Because of the inability to clearly identify which of the two men murdered Jung-pil Cho, the two suspects were eventually freed from lengthy prison sentences. Edward Lee appealed his conviction and was eventually cleared of all charges by the South Korean Supreme Court. Arthur Patterson was pardoned from his prison sentence and fled to the United States, helped by a Korean prosecutor's mistake to renew a travel ban on Arthur Patterson .
- "Itaewon" is a neighborhood district in the city of Seoul, South Korea. The district is popular among tourists and U.S. Army personnel (U.S. military base Yongsan Garrison is nearby). Itaewon is known primarily for its many restaurants serving international dishes, a market selling discounted goods, bars, and popular tourist destinations like Insadong & Seoul Tower.
- "The Case of Itaewon Homicide" opened #3 during its opening (Sept. 11-13) weekend. The movie took in a total of 214,799 viewers on 294 screens (16.1% of all viewers) during that three day period.
- Through its theatrical run "The Case of Itaewon Homicide" sold 534,950 tickets, staying in South Korea's weekend top ten list for two weeks.
Additional Cast Members:
| Latest News
|| Latest Trailers