Current user rating: 92/100 (118 votes)
- Movie: The Vancouver Asahi
- Romaji: Vancouver no Asahi
- Japanese: バンクーバーの朝日
- Director: Yuya Ishii
- Writer: Satoko Okudera
- Producer: Naoto Inaba, Miyoshi Kikuchi
- Cinematographer: Ryuto Kondo
- World Premiere: September 29, 2014 (Vancouver IFF)
- Release Date: December 20, 2014
- Runtime: 132 min.
- Genre: Drama / Based on True Story / Sports / Baseball / Period-1930
- Distributor: Toho
- Language: Japanese
- Country: Japan
Plot Synopsis by AsianWiki Staff ©
The Vancouver Asahi baseball team consists of 2nd generation Japanese immigrants living in Canada. They play within a local amateur baseball league. The team got popular due to their fair play spirit, while struggling to fight against discrimination and poverty in their everyday lives.
Reggie (Satoshi Tsumabuki) is a 2nd generation Japanese immigrant who works at a sawmill in Vancouver. He is the leader of the team and plays shortstop. Roy (Kazuya Kamenashi) is the team's ace pitcher and works at a fishery field. Kaye (Ryo Katsuji) is the team's 2nd baseman and co-worker of Reggie. Tom (Yusuke Kamiji) is the catcher and works at a tofu shop. Frank (Sosuke Ikematsu) works at a hotel and plays baseball with the team.
- Movie is based on the true story of the Vancouver Asahi team played in Canada prior to World War II. The team formed in 1914 and got popular, but after the start of World War II the team was disbanded and the players were sent to various internment camps.
- Filming for the movie began February 18, 2014 and finishes in late April, 2014. Filming takes place at a set in Ashikaga, Tochigi Prefecture, Japan and Vancouver, Canada.
- All the principle actors have experience playing baseball except actor Satoshi Tsumabuki. Satoshi Tsumabuki went through training beginning in late 2013.
Additional Cast Members:
| Latest News
|| Latest Trailers