Current user rating: 83/100 (140 votes)
- Movie: The Servant (English title) / A Story of Bangja (literal title)
- Revised romanization: Bang Ja Jeon
- Hangul: 방자전
- Director: Kim Dae-Woo
- Writer: Kim Dae-Woo
- Producer: Moon Yang-Kwon, Im Seung-Yong, Seo Woo-Sik, Park Dae-Hee
- Cinematographer: Kim Young-Min
- Release Date: June 3, 2010
- Runtime: 124 min.
- Genre: Drama
- Production Company: Barunson Film Divsion
- Distributor: CJ Entertainment
- Language: Korean
- Country: South Korea
"A Story of Bangja" is based on the popular South Korean folktale "Chung Hyang." The movie then twists the story around to ask what would happen if Lee Mong-Ryong was unattractive, while his servant Bang Ja Jeon was attractive? During Lee Mong-Ryong's courtship with Lady Chun Hyang both parties use their servants to communicate ...
- Based on the Korean folktale "Chung Hyang".
- The original folktale "Chun Hyang" involves young Lee Mong Ryong who comes from a high ranking family with his father being the local area Governor. Lee Mong Ryong then falls in love with Chun Hyang, the daughter of a gisaeng and thus someone from a low social rank. Nevertheless, the couple then goes through an initial courtship and becomes romantically involved. One day, Lee Mong Ryong learns that his father has been transferred to another area and he must follow his father as he will prepare for his government entrance exam. Before he leaves, he promises to return to Chun Hyang as the Governor and marry her. Trouble then brews for Chun Hyang when the new local Governor arrives and takes interest in the beautiful Chun Hyang. The new Governor attempts to force Chun Hyang to become his mistressm but she refuses. Chun Hyang is then imprisoned and sentenced to death. On the day that Chun Hyang is scheduled to be executed, Lee Mong Ryong returns to reveal his new job position (he has now become an "amhaeng'eosa" - a secretive government position where he is required to check on other government officials) and save Chun Hyang from death.
- Director Dae-woo Kim has stated that one of the requirements to play the character "Chun Hyang" would be scenes involving partial nudity (actress Yeo-Jeong Jo landed the role of Chun Hyang). 
- Filming begins end of September, 2009.
- Shooting locations include Milyang & Yangsuri, South Korea
- Related titles:
- The Servant | Bang Ja Jeon (CGV / 2011)
Additional Cast Members:
| Latest News
|| Latest Trailers
|* see list of winners and nominees for the "2015 (51st) PaekSang Arts Awards"
|* Akari Hayami cast in Fuji TV live-action drama "Ms. Koizumi Loves Ramen Noodles"
|* Toshiaki Karasawa & Kumiko Aso cast in TBS drama "Napoleon's Village"
|* Masataka Kubota, Kento Yamazaki, Mio Yuki cast in NTV live-action drama "Death Note"
|* Emi Takei cast in TV Asahi drama "Age Harassment"
|* Kim Young-Kwang cast in JTBC drama "D-Day"
|* Lee Chun-Hee, Choi Won-Young, Park Bo-Gum cast in KBS2 drama "Hello Monster"
|* Akira, Chiaki Kuriyama, Ryuta Sato cast in Fuji TV drama "Heat"
|* Park Hae-Jin cast in drama "Cheese in the Trap"
|* Kotaro Koizumi & Tetsuya Takeda cast in WOWOW drama "Death's Organ"
|* Hyeri, Ryoo Hye-Young, Ko Gyung-Pyo, Park Bo-Gum cast in tvN drama "Reply 1988"
|* Hiroki Narimiya cast in NTV drama "Hanasaki Mai Speaks Out 2"
|* Gong Yoo cast in movie "Secret Agent"
|* Masao Komatsu, Yu Aoi, Akira Emoto cast in movie "Journey to the Shore"
|* Lee Soo-Hyuk cast in MBC drama "Scholar Who Walks the Night"
|* Cha Seung-Won cast in movie "Gosanja, Daedongyeojido"
|* Kim Hye-Soo cast in movie "Family Plan"
|* Gang Dong-Won & Lee Sung-Min cast in movie "A Violent Prosecutor"