Current user rating: 90/100 (210 votes)
- Drama: The Great Merchant (English title) / Wealthy Merchant Kim Man Deok (literal title)
- Revised romanization: Geosang Kim Man Deok
- Hangul: 거상 김만덕
- Director: Kang Byung-Taek, Kim Sung-Yoon
- Writer: Kim Jin-Suk
- Network: KBS
- Episodes: 30
- Release Date: March 6 - June 13, 2010
- Runtime: Sat, Sun 21:40
- Language: Korean
- Country: South Korea
Man Deok-Kim (Lee Mi-Yeon) was born into the noble class, but became an orphan at the age of 12. She was than adopted by a prostitute on Jeju Island and worked as a prostitute. At the age of 22, Deok-Kim appealed to government authorities and freed herself from prostitution and also reclaimed her noble status. Deok-Kim would then go on to become a wealthy merchant by importing & exporting goods between Jeju Island and the Korean mainland. By the age of 50, Deok-Kim would become one of the richest persons living on Jeju Island. A severe famine would then strike the island taking the lives of one-third of the population. This famine would move Deok-Kim so much that she would sell her entire assets to help feed the starving people of her island.
- "The Great Merchant" is based on the life of Kim Man Deok (1739-1812) - a wealthy merchant who sold her entire assets after a severe famine on Jeju Islands and donated 90% of the proceeds to help the starving people of Jeju Island. A memorial was created for Kim Man Deok on Jeju Island in 1978 and Jeju Island also presents a yearly Man-deok Award to two outstanding ladies that those those in need.
- "Wealthy Merchant Kim Man Deok" will take over the time slot previously occupied by the KBS drama "The Reputable Family" (Myeong-ga).
Additional Cast Members:
| Latest News
|| Latest Trailers