Current user rating: 94/100 (67 votes)
- Movie: Red Cliff
- Chinese: 赤壁 (Chi bi)
- Director: John Woo
- Writer: Khan Chan, Cheng Kuo, Guanzhong Luo (novel), Heyu Sheng, John Woo
- Producer: Xiaofeng Hu, Terence Chang
- Cinematography: Yue Lu
- Release Date: July 12, 2008
- Runtime: 146 min.
- Language: Mandarin
- Country: China
It's A.D. 208 China. Rival states Shu and Wu join hands against their common enemy, the evil and ambitious General Cao Cao of the Wei kingdom, but are seriously outnumbered by his million-strong army. But with the charismatic leadership of Gen. Zhou Yu (Tony Leung), the perfect strategy of scholar Zhuge Liang (Takeshi Kaneshiro), and the support of emperor Sun Quan (Chang Chen), they manage to declare a small victory. While Cao Cao scoffs at this as no big deal, it adds fuel to his fury.
- As of the release of "Red Cliff," the movie is the most expensive Asian film made to date - $80 million USD.
- "Red Cliff" is based on the epic "Battle of Red Cliffs" in 208 AD (China's Three Kingdom period).
- One scene alone involved 2,000 actors & crew.
- Related titles:
- Red Cliff 2 (2009)
- Tony Leung Chiu Wai - Zhou Yu
- Takeshi Kaneshiro - Zhuge Liang
- Chang Chen - Sun Quan
- Zhao Wei - Sun Shangxiang
- Shido Nakamura - Gan Ning
- Fengyi Zhang - Cao Cao
- Hu Jun - Zhao Yun
- Chiling Lin - Xiao Qiao
- Yong You - Liu Bei
- Tong Dawei - Sun Shucai
- Jia Song - Li Ji
- Yong Hou - Lu Su
- Chun Sun
- Qingxiang Wang - Kong Rong
- Jiang Tong - Li Tong
- Jingchu Zhang
- 2009 (29th) Hawaii International Film Festival - October 15th-25th - Hong Kong Cinema
- 2010 (9th) New York Asian Film Festival - June 25 - July 8
- 2008 (21st) Nikkan Sports Film Awards - December
- Fan Award: Best Foreign Film
- 2009 (3rd) Asian Film Awards - March 23rd
- Best Visual Effects (Craig Hayes )