Current user rating: 87/100 (103 votes)
- Movie: Nameless Gangster: Rules of the Time (English title) / The War Against Crime (literal title)
- Revised romanization: Bumchoiwaui Junjaeng: Nabbeunnomdeul Jeonsungshidae
- Hangul: 범죄와의 전쟁 : 나쁜놈들 전성시대
- Director: Yoon Jong-Bin
- Writer: Yoon Jong-Bin, Han Dong-Wook
- Producer: Han Jae-Duk, Park Shin-Kyu, Kim Do-Soo, Yoo Jung-Hoon
- Cinematographer: Go Rak-Sun
- Release Date: February 2, 2012
- Runtime: 133 min.
- Genre: Crime / Drama
- Distributor: Showbox
- Language: Korean
- Country: South Korea
"Nameless Gangster" depicts the clashes in the Busan underworld when the government declares its war against crime. Former public officer, Choi Ik-Hyun (Choi Min-Sik) and crime boss Choi Hyung-Bae (Ha Jung-Woo) sit in the center of the maelstrom that sweeps the city.
In 1982, Choi Ik-Hyun works as a customs officer at the Busan Port. Choi Ik-Hyun and 3 other officers takes bribes, which leads to an internal investigation. The head customs officer has dinner with the 4 men under investigation and asks them point blank for one person to become the fall guy. Choi Ik-Hyun is chosen as the fall guy by virtue of having the least amount of dependents in his family.
A few nights later, Choi Ik-Hyun works the nightshift at the Busan Port. He spots two men breaking into a warehouse through the CCTV system. When Choi Ik-Hyun confronts the two men, a physical struggle ensues with the two men eventually fleeing the crime scene. After the two men escape, Choi Ik-Hyun and a colleague go into the warehouse to investigate. They discover massive amounts of heroin packed inside of containers. Choi Ik-Hyun then offers to his colleague that if they sell the heroin, Choi Ik-Hyun will retire from the department and become the fall guy for the bribe taking investigation. Meanwhile, his colleague knows crime boss Choi Hyung-Bae. The colleague tells Choi Ik-Hyun that Choi Hyung-Bae has connections with the Japanese yakuza and can become the facilitator to sell the heroin.
The three men then have a meeting at a remote house. Choi Ik-Hyun notices that crime boss Choi Hyung-Bae shares the same family name. The men discuss their respective cuts from the distribution of the heroin. After the deal is agreed upon by all sides, Choi Ik-Hyun informs crime boss Choi Hyung-Bae that they are distant relatives and he knows his father. Due, to the informal manner in which Choi Ik-Hyun addresses crime boss Choi Hyung-Bae, Choi Hyung-Bae's henchman beats Choi Ik-Hyun savagely. They are partners, but Choi Ik-Hyun isn't held with high regard yet.
The next day, crime boss Choi Hyung-Bae goes to see his father at his home and finds his father drinking with Choi Ik-Hyun. His father introduces Choi Ik-Hyun to his son and tells his son to bow down to his distant uncle. The two men then begin their partnership in earnest. Choi Ik-Hyun, with his uncanny ability to gain favors from those around him, and crime boss Choi Hyung-Bae, with his physical prowess as the head of a feared criminal organization, are set to take over the Busan underworld, but will it last?
- "Nameless Gangster" opened #1 at the Korean weekend box office (Feb.3-5, 2012) during its first weekend of release. Movie sold 918,566 tickets on 701 screens, accounting for 38.90% of all tickets sold that weekend.
- For its second weekend "Nameless Gangster" stayed at #1, selling 829,307 tickets on 712 screens & accounting for 40.90% of all tickets sold that weekend. Movie sold a total of 2,485,464 tickets in its 2 weeks of release
- "Nameless Gangster" became the first film to pass 4 million tickets sales at the South Korean box office in 2012.
Additional Cast Members:
- 2012 (15th) Shanghai International Film Festival - June 16-24, 2012 - Spectrum
- 2012 (11th) New York Asian Film Festival - June 29-July 15, 2012 - Choi Min-Sik Mr. Vengenance
- 2012 (16th) Fantasia Film Festival - July 19-August 9, 2012 *Quebec Premiere
- 2012 (31st) Vancouver International Film Festival - September 27-October 12, 2012 - Dragons and Tigers
- 2012 (61st) Melbourne International Film Festival - August 2-19, 2012 - Accent on Asia
- 2012 (45th) Sitges Film Festival - October 4-14, 2012 - Official Fantàstic Competition
- 2012 (17th) Busan International Film Festival - October 4-13, 2012 - Korean Cinema Today - Panorama
- 2012 (56th) BFI London Film Festival - October 10-21, 2012 - Films in Thrill
- 2012 (7th) Korean Film Festival In Paris - October 30-November 6, 2012 - Landscape
- 2013 (56th) San Francisco International Film Festival - April 25-May 9, 2013 - World Cinema
- 2013 (4th) Korean Film Festival in Australia - August 14-September 11, 2013 - Crime and Punishment
| Latest News
|| Latest Trailers