Current user rating: 94/100 (5738 votes)
- Name: Moon Geun-Young
- Hangul: 문근영
- Birthdate: May 06, 1987
- Birthplace: Gwangju, Jeollanam-do, South Korea
- Height: 165cm
- Blood Type:
Moon Geun-Young was born on May 6, 1987 in Gwangju, South Korea. Her immediate family consists of parents and one younger sister. Moon Geun-Young began her acting career from a young age as a child actor. During the third grade of her elementary school, Moon Geun-Young performed in her school's play and became enthusiastic towards acting.
After her performance in the play, Moon Geun-Young asked her parents to send her to an acting institute. At first her parents rejected her idea, but Moon Gun-Young did not give up. The following year, while in the 4th grade of elementary school, Moon Geun-Young asked her parents again. This time around, her parents replied if presidential candidate Kim Dae-jung won the election they would send her to acting school. Fortunately for Moon-Geun-Young, Kim Dae-Jung won the presidential election in 1997. By the 6th grade of Moon Geun-Young's schooling she enrolled in an acting institute in Gwangju. While learning acting at the institute her profile was sent by the institute to Seoul and in the following year she was cast as an extra for a few television dramas.
After more CF roles, Moon Geun-Young made her proper TV drama debut in 1999 with the KBS children's drama "Potato" ("누룽지선생과 감자 일곱개"). Moon Geun-Young also acted in the documentary "On The Way" ("길 위에서") directed by Choi Jae-Eun.
In 2000, her big break came while performing as the child character Eun-Seo in the KBS2 drama "Autumn in my Heart". With the drama's large following, she became recognized by the Korean public. In 2010, while promoting the theatrical play "Closer" Moon Geun-Young was asked what was her favorite performance and she stated that it was "Autumn in my Heart" due to her acting inexperience at the time and having to act on pure instinct.
After acting in more dramas, Moon Geun-Young performed in the motion picture "Lover's Concerto". In 2003, Moon Geun-Young took on her first lead role in the critically praised and commercially successful horror film "A Tale of Two Sisters," directed by Kim Ji-Woon. "A Tale of Two Sisters" sold over 3 million tickets and helped display Moon Geun-Young's acting ability in a more dynamic setting.
With Moon Geun-Young's romantic comedy "My Little Bride" in 2004, she perfected her cute wholesome image and found further commercial success at the box office. "My Little Bride" sold over 3 million tickets and became the second highest domestic grossing film for that year. During this time, Moon Geun-Young picked up the nickname "the nation's younger sister" (Gukmin yeo-dong-saeng") due to her cute little sister image. Interesting to note, Moon Geun-Young mentioned that her management company was happy with her performance, but she was not. At the time she still could not let her Su-Yeon character from "A Tale of Two Sisters" go.
Her next films, 2005 "Innocent Steps" & 2006 "Love Me Not" were not as commercially successful nor did they receive favorable critical reviews. "Innocent Steps" would follow Moon Geun-Young's "cute" image set in "My Little Bride," while the darker "Love Me Not," followed more along the lines of "A Tale of Two Sisters".
In 2006, Moon Geun-Young was accepted at Sungkyunkwan University and majored in Korean Language and Literature. During this time, Moon Geun-Young took a break from acting and did not perform in any titles.
Return to Acting
In 2008, Moon Geun-Young made her return to acting in the SBS period drama "The Painter of Wind". The role marked a departure for Moon Geun-Young as she played a woman who disguises herself as a man to become a painter. Primarily due to the risky decision to cast Moon Geun-Young in the lead character role, the production company were worried about the commercial viability of the drama series. Filming also came with some difficulties. On October 9th, Moon Geun-Young fractured her nose while filming a scene for "The Painter of Wind." The accident occurred when co-star Park Shin-Yang inadvertently hit Moon Geun-Young with his elbow while filming an argument scene. Shooting for the series halted for one week while Geun-yeong recovered. As it turns out, "The Painter of Wind" received solid ratings (13.2% weekly average) and received favorable critical reviews. Moon Geun-Young also garnered the top prize (Daesang Award) at the SBS Drama Awards for her performance in "The Painter of Wind".
In 2010, Moon Geun-Young made another bold step in her acting career by performing as the sometimes villain in the KBS2 drama "Cinderella's Stepsister". "Cinderella's Stepsister" was a hit, regularly receiving ratings in excess of 20%. During the press conference for "Cinderella's Stepsister," Moon Geun-Young stated that an actress should step outside of her "safety fence" and take on risk.
In 2010, Moon Geun-Young took on another new challenge by performing in the theatrical play "Closer". Moon Geun-Young played twenty something year old Alice, who works as a strip dancer. In November of 2010, Moon Geun-Young also took on another lead role in the romantic-comedy drama "Marry Me, Mary!". Moon Geun-Young stated she was ready to take a break from acting at the time, but on the strength of the scenario for the series, the talented staff and the casting of Jang Geun-Suk in the lead male role, she was persuaded to take on the role in "Marry Me, Mary!".
Family Background & Her Philanthropic Deeds
Moon Geun-Young's grandfather is the late political prisoner Ryu Nak-Jin. He died on April 1, 2005. Also, Moon Geun-Young's great uncle was shot to death during the Gwangju Uprising in 1980. Due to the political strife in Moon Geun-Young's family, Moon Geun-Young's parents placed a condition on their daughter to donate a portion of her earnings to needy causes. Throughout her career and, often anonymously, Moon Geun-Young has made small and large donations to different charitable causes. In November 2008, the non-profit group "Korean Community Chest'" revealed that actress Moon Geun-Young has donated over 850 million Won (approx. $800,000 USD) anonymously to the charity group over the past 5 years. In 2009, Moon Geun-Young donated the Haenam Children's Center to the NGO group Good People. The building was originally financed at a cost of 300 million Won ($230,000) by Moon Geun-Young after she heard of the pastor and his wife who were in financial difficulties and the school, which taught underprivileged children in the area, was going to be shut down.
Special Relationship With Her Grandmother
As a child, both of Moon Geun-Young's parents worked and, because of this, she spent a lot of time with her grandmother. Her grandmother has also often spent time on the shooting set with Moon Geun-Young. A famous incident exists of Moon Geun-Young and her grandmother while on the shooting set for the movie "My Little Bride". During this time, they were observed together picking up discarded cigarette butts off the floor before throwing it away in a trash can.
- Actress Geun-yeong Mun fractured her nose on Oct 9, 2008 while filming a scene for "The Painter of Wind". Co-star Shin-yang Park accidentally hit Geun-yeong with his elbow while shooting an argument scene. Filming for the show halted for one week while Geun-yeong recovered.
- Sado (2015) - Hyegyeong Hong (Crown Prince Sado's wife)
- Love Me Not | Sarangddawin Piryoeopseo (2006) - Ryoo Min
- Innocent Steps | Daenseo-ui Sunjeong (2005) - Jang Chae-Rin
- My Little Bride | Eorin shinbu (2004) - Seo Bo-Eun
- A Tale of Two Sisters | Janghwa, Hongryeon (2003) - Bae Soo-Yeon
- Lover's Concerto | Yeonae Soseol (2002) - Ji-Yoon
- On The Way | Kil wieseo (1999)
- Jung-Yi, Goddess of Fire | Boolui Yeoshin Jung-Yi (MBC / 2013) - Yoo Jung
- Cheongdamdong Alice | Cheongdamdong Aeliseu (SBS / 2012-2013) - Han Se-Gyung
- Marry Me, Mary! | Maerineun Uibakjoong (KBS2 / 2010) - Mary Wei
- Cinderella's Stepsister | Sinderella Eonni (KBS2 / 2010) - Song Eun-Ju
- The Painter of Wind | Baramui Hwawon (SBS / 2008) - - Shin Yoon-Bok
- Only You | Ahnae (KBS2 / 2003) - Han Min-Ju
- Empress Myseongseong | Myeongseong Hwang-ho (KBS / 2001) - Myeongseong Hwang-ho (young)
- Life is Beautiful | Insaengeun Hareumdawo (KBS2 / 2001)
- Autumn in my Heart | Gaeul donghwa (KBS2 / 2000) - Eun-Seo (young)
- 2011 Seoul International Drama Awards: Best Hallyu Drama Actress (Marry Me, Mary!)
- 2010 KBS Drama Awards: Top Excellence Award - Actress (Cinderella's Sister)
- 2010 KBS Drama Awards: Popularity Award (Cinderella's Sister and Marry Me, Mary!)
- 2010 KBS Drama Awards: Best Couple Award with Jang Keun-Suk (Marry Me, Mary!)
- 2009 Seoul International Drama Awards: Most Popular Actress (The Painter of Wind)
- 2009 45th Baeksang Arts Awards: Best TV Actress Award (The Painter of Wind)
- 2008 SBS Drama Awards: Daesang (Grand Prize) (The Painter of Wind)
- 2008 SBS Drama Awards: Best Couple Award with Moon Chae-Won (The Painter of Wind)
- 2008 SBS Drama Awards: Top Ten Stars Award (The Painter of Wind)
- 2008 Grime Awards: Best Female Actress Award in a TV Series (The Painter of Wind)
- 2006 29th Golden Director Awards: Best Female Actress Award (Love Me Not)
- 2005 26th Blue Dragon Film Awards: Most Popular Female Actress Award (Innocent Steps)
- 2005 42nd Daejong Film Awards: Most Popular Female Actress Award (Innocent Steps)
- 2004 25th Blue Dragon Film Awards: Most Popular Female Actress Award (My Little Bride)
- 2004 12th Choonsa Film Awards: Best New Female Actress Award (My Little Bride)
- 2004 41st Daejong Film Awards: Best New Female Actress Award (My Little Bride)
- 2004 41st Daejong Film Awards: Most Popular Female Actress Award (My Little Bride)
- 2000 KBS Drama Awards: Best Young Female Actress Award (Autumn in my Heart)