Current user rating: 94/100 (192 votes)
1986 Gyunggi Province. The body of a young woman is found brutally raped and murdered.
Two months later, a series of rapes and murders commences under similar circumstances.
And in a country that had never known such crimes, the dark whispers about a serial murderer grow louder.
A special task force is set up in the area, with two local detectives Park Doo-Man (Song Kang-Ho) and Jo Young-Goo (Kim Roe-Ha) joined by a detective from Seoul who requested to be assigned to the case, Seo Tae-Yoon (Kim Sang-Kyung). Park personifies the policeman who goes with his instincts and his fists, bloodily challenging every small-time crook in the area to confess.
In contrast, Seo pores over evidentiary documents related to the case and inevitably the clash of styles leads to tense rivalry.
From the fact that not a single hair is ever found at the scene, Park takes off to search the area's temples and public baths for people with follicular disease, while Seo finds a pattern in the evidence of women wearing red on a rainy day as the victim's profile. On a rainy day, the detectives set up a trap in order to forestall another murder. The next day however, yet another woman is found murdered - with an umbrella speared through her pubis. The solution to the murders grows fainter and drives the detectives to ever greater despair.
- Based on a true story that occurred in Hwaseong, Gyeonggi Province over the course of six years (1986 - 1991). 10 women were raped and murdered in a 2km radius ranging from a 71 year-old grandmother to a 13 year old schoolgirl.
- Over 3,000 suspects were interrogated and at least 300,000 police took part in the massive investigation. Not a single person was indicted for the crimes. tvN drama series "Gap Dong" is also inspired by this real life case.
- Related titles (all based on the same true story):
- Memories of Murder | Salinui Chueok (2003)
- Gap Dong | Gapdongi (tvN / 2014)
- Signal (tvN / 2016)
Additional Cast Members:
- Best Film Grand Bell Awards
- Best Actor (Song Kang-Ho), Grand Bell Awards
- Best Director (Bong Joon-Ho), Grand Bell Awards
- Silver Seashell San Sebastian International Film Festival
- Fipresci Prize San Sebastian International Film Festival
- Best New Director (Bong Joon-Ho), San Sebastian International Film Festival 2003
- Asian Film Award Tokyo International Film Festival
- Grand Prix Cognac Festival du Film Policier
- Premiere Award Cognac Festival du Film Policier
- Prix Mediatheques Cognac Festival du Film Policier
- Special Prize of the Police Cognac Festival du Film Policier
- Best Screenplay Award, Audience Award Torino Film Festival (Italy), 2003.
| Latest News
|| Latest Trailers