Current user rating: 90/100 (70 votes)
- Movie: I Want to Be a Shellfish
- Romaji: Watashi wa Kai ni Naritai
- Japanese: 私は貝になりたい
- Director: Katsuo Fukuzawa
- Producer: Katsuaki Setoguchi
- Writer: Shinobu Hashimoto, Tetsutaro Kato
- Cinematographer: Asakazu Nakai
- Released: November 22, 2008
- Runtime: 139 min.
- Studio: Toho, TBS
- Movie Studio: Toho
- Language: Japanese
- Country: Japan
1944, in the depths of World War II. Toyomatsu Shimizu is a completely typical barber from a remote sea-side town who lives frugally but happily with his wife Fusae and their five-year-old son. Eventually, though, the army beckons and he is drafted. One day an officer on the battle-field orders him to kill a captive U.S. soldier. Although Toyomatsu lacks the spirit to kill the man, and only wounds him in the arm, the victorious U.S. soldiers will not accept this, and Toyomatsu is arrested and tried as a war-criminal. And he receives the cruelest sentence possible...
- Based on the novel (published in 1959) by Tetsutaro Kato, a soldier convicted of war crimes and receiving the death penalty.
- Other titles based on the same story:
- I Want to Be a Shellfish (1959)
- Shinjitsu no Shuki BC-kyu Senpan Kato Tetsutaro: Watashi wa Kai ni Naritai (NTV / 2007)
- I Want to Be a Shellfish | Watashi wa Kai ni Naritai (2008)
Additional Cast Members:
| Latest News
|| Latest Trailers