Current user rating: 73/100 (12 votes)
- Movie: East Palace West Palace / Behind the Forbidden City
- Chinese: 东宫西宫 (Dong gong xi gong)
- Director: Yuan Zhang
- Writer: Wang Xiaobo, Yuan Zhang
- Producer: Christophe Jung, Christophe Menager, Willy Tsao, Yuan Zhang
- Cinematographer: Jian Zhang
- Release Date: November 1996
- Runtime: 90 min
- Language: Mandarin
- Country: China
A young gay man ( Si Han), identified as a writer, encounters a local policeman (Jun Hu), who arrests him for public cruising in a park. The policeman is more than professionally curious about the young man, who seems to have the cop's number and suddenly kisses him.
- First mainland Chinese picture to deal explicitly with homosexual themes.
- The Chinese government placed director Yuan Zhang under house arrest & confiscated his passport, but his friends smuggled the film out of the country to be screened at the Mar del Plata Film Festival in Argentina in November 1996, and the 1997 Cannes film festival.
- The title of the movie derives from the two parks near the Forbidden City - the East Palace and the West Palace. The two parks, specifically their public washrooms, are notorious for being places of congregation for the homosexuals in Beijing during the night.
| Latest News
|| Latest Trailers