Current user rating: 90/100 (28 votes)
- Movie: Detective Dee and the Mystery of the Phantom Flame
- Chinese: 狄仁傑 之 通天帝國 (Di renjie zhī tōngtiān dìguó)
- Director: Hark Tsui
- Writer: Kuo-fu Chen
- Producer: Hark Tsui, Felice Bee, Peggy Lee
- Cinematographer: Chi Ying Chan, Chor Keung Chan
- World Premiere: September 5, 2010 (Venice Film Festival)
- Release Date: Sep. 29, 2010 (China) / Sept. 30, 2010 (Hong Kong)
- Runtime: Chi Ying Chan
- Language: Cantonese
- Country: Hong Kong
In 690AD, ancient China witnessed one of its most prosperous and dynamic era through the powerful Tang Dynasty. Reaching its peak of time, Tang boasted of the highest population and broadest borders amongst all nations. Neighboring countries bowed to China’s emperor, and European ministers travelled thousands of miles to visit this great kingdom for trade and cultural exchange, and it was also during this time, Empress Wu, the first and only female emperor to ever rule China, was preparing to officially announce her place in throne.
Our story begins at just weeks before the grand inauguration ceremony of Empress Wu is to take place. The entire country had been preparing for this day for many years, redecorating the Imperial Palace, the capital city Luoyang is retouched to the last detail, rare delicacies are shipped in from every corner of the country for the banquet feast, and foreign Ambassadors from around the world have begun to arrive to attend this great celebration. All that was to be done was the completion of the 100 meters tall Stupa that was being built and worked on day and night.
Everything was at the ready, people of the Luoyang city are holding celebrations every night to commemorate this big day to come. And just when nothing could possibly go wrong, a series of unexplainable deaths begin to occur, creating panic within the city. To make matters worse, all the victims are found to be loyal supporters and serving administrators of Empress Wu. Devastated by this, Wu is all the more anxious to find out who or what is behind these murders before it disrupts the inauguration that she had been planning for years. With no choice, Wu calls on the only person she knows who could solve the crimes ---the infamous Detective Dee; the man who defied her when she first seized power of the court eight years ago, leading her to send him on exile.
Detective Dee dutifully returns to her Majesty’s service, and partnering with the gung-ho Commander Bei, and the Ghost Doctor, a specialist in black magic and disguise, they set out to unveil the mystery of the murders. As they inch closer and closer to unveiling the truth, they are confronted with further danger and bizarre events……
- Shooting begins May, 2009.
- Related titles:
- Detective Dee The Prequel | (Di Ren Jie Qian Zhuan (2013)
Additional Cast Members:
- 2010 (67th) Venice Film Festival - September 1-11, 2010 - Venezia 67 (Competition) *World Premiere
- 2010 (35th) Toronto International Film Festival - September 9-19, 2010 - Contemporary World Cinema *North American Premiere
- 2010 (43rd) Sitges Film Festival - October 7-14, 2010 - Casa Àsia
- 2011 (13th) Deauville Asian Film Festival - March 9 - 13, 2011 - Panorama
- 2011 (35th) Hong Kong International Film Festival - March 20 - April 5, 2011 - Hong Kong Panorama 2010-2011
- 2011 (29th) Brussels International Fantastic Film Festival - April 7-19, 2011 - International Competition
- 2011 (10th) Tribeca Film Festival - April 20-May 1, 2011 - Spotlight *U.S. Premiere
- 2011 (10th) New York Asian Film Festival - July 1-14, 2011
- 2011 (15th) Fantasia Film Festival - July 14-August 7, 2011 *Montreal Premiere
- 2012 (28th) Imagine: Amsterdam Fantastic Film Festival - April 17-18, 2012
| Latest News
|| Latest Trailers