- Event: Asia Pacific Screen Awards
- Date: Annually November
- Presented By: State Government of Queensland, Australia
- Began: 2007
The Asia Pacific Screen Awards (APSA) is an international cultural initiative of the State Government of Queensland, Australia, through Queensland Events Corporation, to honour and promote the films, actors, directors, and cultures of Asia-Pacific to a global audience and to realise the objectives of UNESCO to promote and preserve the respective cultures through the influential medium of film. Staged for the first time in 2007, APSA collaborates with CNN International, UNESCO and the International Federation of Film Producers Associations (FIAPF). Films that best reflect their cultural origins and cinematic excellence, the APSA takes the works of filmmakers across more than 70 countries and areas in the Asia-Pacific region to new international audiences. Feature programs produced in association with CNN International are broadcast to a global audience showcasing the works and personalities of Asia-Pacific filmmakers.
Nominees of the Awards are inducted into The Academy of the Asia Pacific Screen Awards, a growing world-class body of Asia-Pacific filmmakers. Australian screen legend, Jack Thompson AM, is the Patron of The Academy.
The second annual Asia Pacific Screen Awards was held at Australia’s Gold Coast on November 11, 2008.
Nominees and Winners
Film Categories and Awards
Films can be submitted in one or all of four film categories:
- Feature Film
- Animation|Animation Feature Film
- Children's film|Children’s Feature Film
- Documentary film|Documentary Feature Film
Awards are presented for the following achievements:
- Asia Pacific Screen Award for Best Feature Film|Best Picture
- Asia Pacific Screen Award for Best Animated Feature Film|Best Animated Feature Film
- Asia Pacific Screen Award for Best Documentary Feature Film|Best Documentary Feature Film
- Asia Pacific Screen Award for Best Children’s Feature Film|Best Children’s Feature Film
- Asia Pacific Screen Award for Achievement in Direction|Achievement in Direction
- Asia Pacific Screen Award for Best Screenplay|Best Screenplay
- Asia Pacific Screen Award for Achievement in Cinematography|Achievement in Cinematography
- Asia Pacific Screen Award for Best Performance by an Actress|Best Performance by an Actress
- Asia Pacific Screen Award for Best Performance by an Actor|Best Performance by an Actor
In addition, three special awards are presented for outstanding achievement.
- The FIAPF Award: The FIAPF|International Federation of Film Producers Associations (FIAPF) determines the winner of the award for outstanding achievement in film in the Asia-Pacific region.
- The ASPA UNESCO Award|UNESCO Award: The United Nations Educational, Scientific, and Cultural Organization (UNESCO) Award is for the outstanding contribution to the promotion and preservation of cultural diversity through film.
- The ASPA Jury Grand Prize|Jury Grand Prize: The Jury of the Asia Pacific Screen Awards can, at its discretion, present a further award