Arang and the Magistrate
Current user rating: 96/100 (2568 votes)
- Drama: Arang and the Magistrate
- Revised romanization: Alangsattojeon
- Hangul: 아랑사또전
- Director: Kim Sang-Ho, Jung Dae-Yoon
- Writer: Jung Yoon-Jung
- Network: MBC
- Episodes: 20
- Release Date: August 15, 2012 - October 18, 2012
- Runtime: Wednesdays & Thursdays 21:55
- Genre: Period / Romance / Fantasy / Supernatural
- Language: Korean
- Country: South Korea
Set in the Joseon Dynasty period, a female ghost (Shin Min-A), who was murdered, appears in front of a government official (Lee Joon-Gi) and pleads for the man to punish her murderer. The government official then attempts to appease her wishes.
Eun-Oh (Lee Joon-Gi) is one of the few who can see and hear ghosts. He heads for Miryang where he last saw his mother. His mother has being missing for 10 years. While walking with his servant (Kwon Oh-Jung), Eun-Oh sees a ghost named Arang (Shin Min-A) being chased by ghost hunter Moo-Young (Han Jung-Soo). Eun-Oh pretends to not see them, as this is his usual routine when he comes across ghosts. Arang is able to get away from Moo-Young the ghost hunter by throwing peach blossom petals at him.
Meanwhile, it begins to rain heavily. Eun-Oh and his servant comes across a small abandoned shack and go inside for shelter. While Eun-Oh sits in front of a fire, he sees the door of the shack open. The ghost Arang comes inside and sits next to Eun-Oh. Arang begins to mutter to herself and then takes off her soaking wet dress. She then notices Eun-Oh glance towards her. Arang wonders to herself if Eun-Oh is able to see her and begins to prod him for a reaction. Eun-Oh freezes and pretends he is looking past her. He then goes to lie down on the floor and pretends to be sleep. Arang lies down next to him.
The next morning Arang is gone. When Eun-Oh and Dol-Soe get to Miryang, Joo-Wal (Yeon Woo-Jin) and his father Choi pass by. Choi is a nobleman and the most powerful person in Miryang. While Eun-Oh is on the way to see the woman who saw his mother last, a bunch of ghosts appear in front of him and asks him for a favor. Eun-Oh turns down their request. Meanwhile, Arang, who is sitting atop a nearby roof, sees Eun-Oh talking to the ghosts and is now sure that he can see and hear ghosts.
When Eun-Oh turns around, Arang is standing in front of him. She asks Eun-Oh to find out her name, but Eun-Oh refuses. He tells her to go to government office and ask a magistrate. Arang asks him that if he becomes a magistrate would he accepts her request? Eun-Oh says yes to appease her, but he has no desire to become a magistrate.
Arang then puts in place a plan to make Eun-Oh a magistrate. She goes to shaman Bang-Wool (Hwang Bo-Ra), who later tells public officers in Miryang to kidnap Eun-Oh and make him the magistrate. Eun-Oh is then forcible taken by public officers and bound in the magistrate room. Arang stand in front of him again and asks him to find out her name. Eun-Oh again refuses.
Arang goes back to Bang-Wool for advice. Shaman Bang-Wool tells her that if she makes herself attractive, Eun-Oh will accept her request. While they work to make Arang more attractive, Moo-Young the ghost huner appears. Arang then flees from the area. Eun-Oh, who is standing nearby, notices a "binyeo" (Korean traditional hairpin) that Arang is wearing. The binyeo is identical to the one he gave to his mother. Suddenly, Eun-Oh goes after Arang, who is being chased by Moo-Young the ghost hunter.
- First script reading took place at MBC Dream Center in Ilsan, South Korea on May 12. Shin Min-A , Lee Joon-Gi, Yeon Woo-Jin, Yoo Seung-Ho and other actors and actress attended. Prior to the script reading, director Kim Sang-Ho and screenwriter Jung Yoon-Jung explained the background ofor the drama and the reasons to make this drama.
- "Arang and the Magistrate" takes over the MBC Wednesday & Thursday 21:55 time slot previously occupied by "I Do, I Do" and will be followed by "I Miss You" November, 2012.
- Filming began May 23, 2012 at Namyangju Studio Complex. The first scene filmed involved A-Rang (Shin Min-A), who is on a roof, watching Eun-Oh (Lee Joon-Gi) walk on the street below with his servant Dol-Soe (Kwon Oh-Jung).
|Lee Joon-Gi||Shin Min-A||Yeon Woo-Jin||Kwon Oh-Jung||Hwang Bo-Ra|
|Han Jung-Soo||Yoo Seung-Ho||Park Jun Gyu||Kim Yong-Geon||Kim Kwang-Kyu|
|Moo-Young||King of Heaven||King of Hell||Noble man Choi||Ibang|
|Lee Sang-Hun||Min Sung-Wook||Kim Min-Jae||Kang Mun-Yeong||Song Jae-Ryong|
|Hyungbang||Yebang||Geo-Deol||Eun-Oh's mother / Hong-Ryun||Servant Kim|
Additional Cast Members:
- No Hee-Ji - taoist fairy
- Samuel Kang - ghost
- Baek Hyun - angel of death
- Lim Hyeon-Shik - ghost (cameo)
- Lim Ju-Eun - Moo-Yeon (cameo)
- Yun Ju-Sang - Eun-Oh's father (cameo)
- Jung Soo-Young - Bang-Wool's customer (cameo)
- Jung Bo-Suk - King of Heaven (cameo)
- Choo Hun-Yub - young Noble man Choi (cameo)
- Kim Bu-Seon - Bang-Wool's dead grandmother (cameo)
- Lee Sung-Min - gatekeeper (cameo)
- Park Min-Ha - reincarnated Ah-Rang (cameo)
- Lee Do-Hyun - reincarnated Eun-Oh (cameo)
|2012-08-15||1||14.4% (4th)||16.8% (4th)||13.3% (4th)||15.1% (4th)|
|2012-08-16||2||14.3% (6th)||16.5% (4th)||13.2% (6th)||14.4% (4th)|
|2012-08-22||3||16.0% (5th)||19.3% (4th)||13.2% (6th)||14.2% (4th)|
|2012-08-23||4||16.2% (5th)||19.3% (4th)||14.4% (4th)||15.7% (4th)|
|2012-08-29||5||12.1% (8th)||13.3% (5th)||12.4% (9th)||13.7% (8th)|
|2012-08-30||6||14.0% (10th)||16.3% (5th)||13.0% (8th)||14.4% (6th)|
|2012-09-05||7||13.1% (7th)||14.6% (5th)||11.7% (9th)||12.8% (7th)|
|2012-09-06||8||11.7% (12th)||14.2% (6th)||10.9% (12th)||11.9% (11th)|
|2012-09-12||9||17.0% (4th)||19.5% (3rd)||14.1% (3rd)||15.3% (3rd)|
|2012-09-13||10||17.0% (5th)||20.5% (3rd)||14.5% (6th)||15.1% (5th)|
|2012-09-19||11||15.3% (4th)||17.2% (3rd)||13.8% (5th)||14.9% (3rd)|
|2012-09-20||12||14.9% (5th)||16.0% (4th)||13.1% (6th)||14.0% (6th)|
|2012-09-26||13||13.9% (6th)||15.9% (4th)||11.7% (8th)||12.9% (6th)|
|2012-09-27||14||14.3% (6th)||16.0% (4th)||12.5% (8th)||13.0% (9th)|
|2012-10-03||15||15.0% (5th)||17.7% (4th)||13.3% (6th)||14.5% (5th)|
|2012-10-04||16||13.9% (8th)||16.2% (3rd)||12.9% (10th)||14.4% (6th)|
|2012-10-10||17||13.0% (6th)||15.2% (5th)||12.6% (9th)||13.8% (8th)|
|2012-10-11||18||13.5% (10th)||15.1% (7th)||11.4% (10th)||12.1% (10th)|
|2012-10-17||19||13.2% (8th)||14.7% (6th)||12.4% (7th)||14.0% (5th)|
|2012-10-18||20||13.8% (10th)||16.5% (5th)||12.4% (10th)||13.8% (6th)|
- NR denotes not ranked within the Top 20 daily shows according to TNS Media Korea and AGB Nielson.