A Tale of Two Sisters
Current user rating: 97/100 (754 votes)
- Movie: A Tale of Two Sisters
- Revised romanization: Janghwa, Hongryeon
- Hangul: 장화, 홍련
- Director: Kim Jee-Woon
- Writer: Kim Jee-Woon
- Producer: Oh Ki-Min, Oh Jung-Wan
- Cinematographer: Lee Mo-Gae
- Release Date: June 13, 2003
- Runtime: 115min.
- Genre: Horror / Sisters
- Distributor: Cheongeoram
- Production Budget: US$ 3.7M
- Language: Korean
- Country: South Korea
Soo-Mi (Lim Soo-Jung) and Su-Yeon (Moon Geun-Young) return home after an extended illness and hospital stay. Things have not been the same since their mother passed away. Their return is welcomed by their stepmother Eun-Joo (Yum Jung-Ah). It’s evident that Soo-Mi, the older and stronger of the two, isn’t afraid to speak her mind when it comes to their family troubles. Su-Yeon is more timid and wary of their stepmother and looks to Soo-Mi for help. Continually picked on and harassed by their stepmother, the two have no choice but to endure the relationship for their father’s sake. Soo-Mi promises Su-Yeon that she will never let their stepmother beat them again. Unexplainable things start to occur at the house. Something has changed, no one knows what it is, but the sisters can feel it.
- Based on the Joseon-era Korean folktale "Janghwa Hongreyon jeon".
- Other films based on the same "Janghwa Hongryeon jeon" tale:
|Lim Soo-Jung||Moon Geun-Young||Yum Jung-Ah||Kim Kap-Soo|
|Bae Soo-Mi||Bae Soo-Yeon||Eun-Joo||Bae Moo-Hyeon|
|Lee Seung-Bi||Lee Dae-Yeon||Park Mi-Hyun||Woo Ki-Hong|